Head of Community Lending
Umpqua Bank is a publicly traded financial holdings company which offers banking, lending, and wealth management services to our personal, business, and commercial customers. Headquartered in Lake Oswego, Oregon with 4,000+ employees and operations across Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada. It’s an especially exciting time to join our team as, upon the completion of the merger with Columbia Bank, we grow to become a leading western regional bank with more than $50B in assets under management and an unwavering commitment to our associates, our customers, and our communities.
About the Role:
In this role, you will create, direct, and implement regional and local strategy and tactical marketing plans as part of Umpqua Bank's Community Lending Group to gain significant market share in ethnic minority and low-to-moderate-income homebuyer segment. You will employ a full range of programs, products, and services to capitalize on current and future market opportunities in those specific markets. You will increase the visibility of Umpqua Bank through strategic partnerships and alliances in the community by leveraging Regional Home Lending, Retail, and other Bank partners to drive home loan production in these diverse segments.
- Lead a team of Community Lending Officers across 5 states who serve as market leaders to drive key initiatives focused on ethnic and low-to-moderate income homebuyers.
- Coach and mentor Community Lending Officers to drive internal and external relationships focused around expanding our partnerships with non-profit housing organizations, ethnic realtor associations (NAREB, NAHREP, AREAA), local elected officials, state, and public agencies.
- Identify local product development needs (i.e. downpayment assistance and bond programs) to increase loan officer knowledge and drive local business. You will act as main contact between Community Lending and Home Lending Marketing on the submission review approval, training, and implementation of such programs.
- Coordinate with local and regional home lending leadership in the design of strategic marketing plans to maximize ethnic minority and low-to-moderate income lending market share in their areas including assessing the need for additional home lending officers generating loans to diverse market consumers. You’ll manage the execution of the Plan to ensure all initiatives and strategies are implemented. Reports the results of Plan execution through detailed reports to regional home lending leadership and any other appropriate retail and line of business partners.
- Develop and manage key strategic relationships with non-profit, community-based and social organizations that increase the loan volume generation to the local market. You will prepare detailed reports on activities, loan volume, and community support requests and relationship value to Regional Home Lending and Retail Leadership.
- Provide local and regional management effective communication on all strategies, initiatives and programs sponsored by or supported through Community Lending.
- Prepare reports and tracking information of Community Lending metrics to regional management for review highlighting loan volume, fair lending compliance, local marketing efforts etc. and/or problem areas. Acts as lead manager for Regional Leadership to develop loan volume goal and meet all Community Lending low-to-moderate and minority-lending objectives set each year.
- Direct Resources Managed – 6-20 Indirect Resources Managed – 11-49.
- Demonstrate compliance with all bank regulations that apply to your position and keep up to date on regulation changes.
- Maintain working knowledge of our policies and procedures regarding the Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security, and other regulations that apply to your position.
- May be asked to coach, mentor, or train others and teach coursework as subject matter expert.
- S. Diploma/GED
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, operations, other related field, or equivalent experience.
- 4 - 7 years of significant experience in mortgage banking, real estate, processing and closing, underwriting, compliance and regulatory requirements, operations, and mortgage systems. Experience with similar or larger lenders., required.
- 4 - 7 supervisory/management experience, with proven ability to lead cross-functional teams in a high-volume, fast-paced environment with high degrees of change. Ability to manage teams in multiple locations., required.
- Advanced knowledge of the entire mortgage lending cycle and the ability to identify opportunities for improving efficiency and quality. Knowledge of related compliance/ risk management practices and regulatory requirements.
- Proven ability to translate broad strategies into specific operational plans.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, with proven ability to be innovative and “think outside the box” in rapidly changing environment, where new regulations can be introduced frequently, while ensuring organizational and budgetary goals are met.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication and personal interaction skills, with ability to work effectively with individuals and groups across the company to manage internal and external customer relationships. Ability to make presentations to small groups and large audiences.
- Ability to assess, write, and present business process enhancements and procedures.
- Proficient with personal computer and related software packages, including MS Office Word, Excel, and Outlook, and LOS, and other business machines.
We offer a competitive total rewards package including base wages and comprehensive benefits. The pay range for this role is $73,710.00 - $149,466.00, and the pay rate for the selected candidate is dependent upon a variety of non-discriminatory factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience, education, and geographic location. The role may be eligible for performance-based incentive compensation and those details will be provided during the recruitment process.
We offer eligible associates comprehensive healthcare coverage (medical, dental, and vision plans), a 401(k)-retirement savings plan with employer match for qualifying associate contributions, an employee assistance program, life insurance, disability insurance, tuition assistance, mental health resources, identity theft protection, legal support, auto and home insurance, pet insurance, access to an online discount marketplace, and paid vacation, sick days, volunteer days, and holidays. Benefit eligibility begins the first day of the month following the date of hire for associates who are regularly scheduled to work at least thirty hours weekly.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
Umpqua Bank is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to employing, engaging, and developing a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, disability, or any other applicable protected status or characteristics. If you require an accommodation to complete the application or interview(s), please let us know by email: [email protected]
To Staffing and Recruiting Agencies:
Our posted job opportunities are only intended for individuals seeking employment at Umpqua Bank. Umpqua Bank does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies and Umpqua Bank will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume submissions. Staffing and recruiting agencies are not authorized to submit profiles, applications, or resumes to this site or to any Umpqua Bank employee and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited unless requested directly by a member of the Talent Acquisition team.