Leadership Development Manager
DescriptionThe incumbent will be responsible for leadership development and performance consulting, developing leadership learning solutions, and most importantly serve as a relationship manager to the HR group and Bank business line leaders.
Along, those lines, this individual will ensure that there is a leadership development and talent management strategy in place to meet the overall business needs of the Bank. Coupled with this will be the task of developing existing leaders (including individuals in key non-leadership strategic positions) and identifying and developing new leaders toward advancement into higher-level leadership and talent management solutions for the organization. The incumbent provides authoritative advice and guidance on the application of adult education concepts, principles and standards to support the Bank’s leadership development goals, and provides individualized consultation/coaching to organizational leaders in the development/enhancement of effective leadership skills consistent with organizational needs. Emphasis on business critical competency development, consultation with leaders to support their individual succession and talent planning needs, individual development planning, assessments, on-boarding new leaders and emerging leader development support.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyzes, determines and formulates plans, procedures and programs to meet specific, leadership development and talent management training needs and problems.
- Plans, conducts and coordinates management and leadership inventories, talent audits/reviews, placement input, coaching and training.
- Prepares and conducts appropriate leadership needs analysis (audience, tasks, etc.).
- Strategizes with business unit leadership and HR business partners to implement organizational performance development solutions aligned with business goals and strategies.
- Analyzes business needs in relation to actual performance of leaders, help identify performance gaps and determine root causes (including skill and knowledge deficiencies) with managers and HR business partners. Review and assist managers with implementation of performance evaluation needs for leaders under their supervision. Recommend corrective action.
- Provides individualized manager coaching and consulting to build and refine leadership skills consistent with organizational needs.
- Partners with HR Business Partners and leaders and others involved in organizational effectiveness to coach client management, at multiple levels, to take action in support of talent and leadership development requirements and initiatives across the Bank as needed.
- Assists with the development and execution of development plans for results that closely define performance gaps of leaders, recommend interventions, influencing factors, reinforcement processes, measurement plans (return on expectations versus return on investment) and accountabilities.
- Collaborates with organizational leaders to develop strategic training initiatives to meet organizational goals.
- Provides input into the design and management of the Bank’s succession and talent planning framework, by overseeing leadership development activities, and creating tools and resources that enable leaders to identify lateral and promotion (including to navigate cross-functional experiential opportunities) ready candidates.
- Integrates leadership competencies into HR systems – including recruitment, performance management, leadership development and talent reviews.
- Leverages technology-based learning solutions and tailor case-studies to ensure relevance and applicability to Bank.
- Facilitates and leads small to large management meetings/retreats related to leadership development and effectiveness.
- Assesses, monitors, and measures the effectiveness of all leadership development and training initiatives against predefined metrics.
- Compiles data, analyzing data for common themes and performance gaps, determines which gaps can be addressed by learning versus non-learning solutions and communicating those results to HR Business Partners, design team members and business unit leaders
- Participates in short- and long-term planning activities, including the development/implementation of plans/projects to address current and future needs to support achievement of business objectives.
- Supervises the work of subordinate staff engaged in training support activities (future expectation)
- Oversees and evaluates the operations/services of the leadership development and effectiveness functional area to ensure that all activities are conducted in a timely and cost-effective manner; participates in the preparation and administration of the annual operating budget; exercises effective cost control by monitoring and adjusting expenses as needed to stay within budget
- Interprets and ensures compliance with applicable internal/external legal and regulatory agreements, standards and requirements
- Keeps abreast of changing regulatory requirements/regulations, professional standards and competitive industry practices impacting assigned functions, as well as organizational initiatives/changes with potential to impact current operations
All employees are responsible for internal controls in the performance of their assigned duties. Internal Control responsibilities are established in various policies, procedures, and documents, including the Code of Conduct.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Education, Business Administration, Training and Development, Organizational Development or related field
- 5+ years of progressively responsible leadership, learning and development and talent management experience
- Managerial or supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience in adult learning theory, organizational behavior, training and development, employee involvement theories, management theory, productivity techniques, quality enhancement, and organization and personal assessment instruments.
- Knowledge of the functionality and use of performance management and training software programs.
- Knowledge of concepts and processes relating to change management, project management and delivery of targeted solutions to address business needs.
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and tools relating to statistical analysis and the development of program metrics.
- Knowledge of the content, intent and application of federal and state standards and regulatory requirements pertaining to matters within designated scope of responsibility.
- Ability to demonstrate expert coaching and leadership development skills.
- Ability to implement succession plans and/or mentoring programs using a variety of leadership and team training and development tools to build knowledge and skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and lead large-scale group meetings/retreats.
- Ability to understand financial and/or operational reports, analyze data, identify improvement opportunities and implement effective responses.
- Ability to keep abreast of current and changing laws and regulatory standards and their impact on operations and activities.
- Ability to develop and implement effective policies, standards and procedures relating to matters under defined scope of responsibility.
- Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to organize/develop management orientation programs and to provide timely and effective training to leadership staff.
- Ability to identify program deficiencies and/or systemic weaknesses and implement timely corrective action to forestall or remedy.
- Ability to demonstrate strong presentation skills and to motivate others to achieve excellence at work.
- Ability to read, understand and communicate in English sufficient to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations as required by the duties of the position.
- Ability to use office equipment and automated systems/applications/software at an acceptable level of proficiency.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to sit at a computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand, and arm movements
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs.
- Ability to effectively discern information and formulate appropriate action
- Ability to reach, squat, bend, and manually manipulate standard office equipment
- Ability to drive to various locations
- Ability to think critically and provide appropriate solutions
Values and Behaviors:
- Build enduring RELATIONSHIPS with clients and each other.
- Drive INNOVATION that simplifies life and work.
- Seek continuous GROWTH in your personal and professional development.
- Commit with HEART to serve others.
- Extend TRUST in order to receive it.
Notice to Agency and Search Firm Representatives:
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies and/or search firms. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Columbia Bank’s Talent Acquisition team to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed written requisition contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Resumes submitted to any Columbia Bank employee by a third party agency and/or search firm without a valid written and signed requisition search agreement, will become the sole property of Columbia Bank. Columbia Bank will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. No employee outside of Columbia Bank’s Talent Acquisition team has the authority to enter into a requisition search agreement.