Technical Writing Intern
DescriptionThe Technical Writing Intern will have exposure to key departments within the Bank, performing a variety of functions within the Technical Writing team. The intern will have the opportunity to assist in the development of technical materials in different formats, manage projects and use their keen attention to detail to revise and edit technical writing pieces.
Columbia Bank is proud to offer internship opportunities to college students looking to pursue a career in banking. Our internship program provides both real world work experience as well as opportunities to serve in our local communities. Columbia Banks community banking philosophy places the highest priority on relationship-based customer service and providing a positive work environment, while striving to make meaningful contributions to each of the communities it serves. We truly believe that our people make the difference.
The Technical Writing Intern will have exposure to key departments within the Bank, performing a variety of functions within the Technical Writing team. The intern will have the opportunity to assist in the development of technical materials in different formats, manage projects and use their keen attention to detail to revise and edit technical writing pieces.
Essential Job Responsibilities/Opportunities:
- Works with team members and key departments throughout the organization to ensure messaging is accurate with Bank and industry rules, regulations and trends
- Working with their mentor to develop, write and revise a variety of technical specification materials, including but not limited to, policies, procedures, forms, quick-reference guides, webpages and articles. Format may be print or electronic.
- Project management of materials produced, providing regular updates to mentor and team mates on status.
- Building Project Management, Editing, and Technical Writing skills
- Building superior communication skills. Must be comfortable engaging in a variety of different communication modes (verbal, non-verbal and written) and at all levels of the organization.
- Keep current with technology trends as they relate support documentation. Evaluation and suggest enhancements to gain efficiencies.
- Acts a resource for publications produced by others to maintain consistency and accuracy
All employees are responsible for internal controls in the performance of their assigned duties. Internal Control responsibilities are established in various policies, procedures, and documents, including the Code of Conduct.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s Degree, preferably in Communications, Marketing or Business or Recent graduate of 2021
- Writing experience or coursework preferred
- Strong active listening skills
- Ability to create or revise technical/support documentation with multiple stakeholders and subject matter experts providing input
- Ability to manage time to ensure that projects are delivered on time and meet or exceed expectations; ability to take initiative on a given task or project and persist with it to completion.
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Experience in document formatting, reviewing, editing and proofreading
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to understand and communicate within a technical or specialized subject matter, particularly as it pertains to bank systems and the banking industry.
- Building superior communication skills. Must be comfortable engaging in a variety of different communication modes (verbal, non-verbal and written) and at all levels of the organization. Strong active listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively develop relationships.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of /experience with software used in desktop-publishing
- Knowledge of/experience with web design/HTML editing software preferred
- Experience in creating forms with form fields
- Knowledge of/experience using SharePoint
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to sit at a computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand, and arm movements
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs.
- Ability to effectively discern information and formulate appropriate action
- Ability to reach, squat, bend, and manually manipulate standard office equipment
Values and Behaviors:
- Build enduring RELATIONSHIPS with clients and each other.
- Drive INNOVATION that simplifies life and work.
- Seek continuous GROWTH in your personal and professional development.
- Commit with HEART to serve others.
- Extend TRUST in order to receive it.