Sr. Scrum Master
The Sr. Scrum Master serves as a guardian servant leader of multiple Scrum Teams. S/he is expected to resolves complex impediments and have control over multiple scrum processes. This role will serve as a coach to multiple Scrum teams and may serve as a mentor to other more junior Scrum Masters. This role will typically serve multiple Business functions and ensure that multiple projects are working smoothly, and that all team members have the appropriate tools to get their work done efficiently. This role works very closely with the Product Owners to execute the prioritized backlog, making sure that multiple deliverables are on time with production quality. The Senior Scrum Master is very seasoned at resolving team conflicts and other sensitive/complex issues that may arise. S/he is actively involved in all aspects of the delivery of the product and ensures Product Owners involvement in business decisions. The Scrum Master is responsible for monitoring the scrum processes and scrum meetings. S/he drives team efficiency, motivates the team, recommends changes that will ensure quality and timeliness and ensures observance of Definition of done (DoD).
Key Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Coaches multiple teams on Scrum; guides various teams impacting multiple business functions, in adopting Scrum and Agile practices; also acts as a coach on methods and techniques to improve quality of work delivered.
- Actively encourages creativity and works to improve the efficiency of multiple teams.
- Seasoned at identifying and removing complex impediments to Scrum teams served.
- Takes a new perspective on existing solutions when providing recommendations.
- Leads daily stand-up meetings; is accountable for decision-making processes that ensure quick inspection and proper use of adaptation process.
- Partners with Product Owners (Pos) on effective backlog management.
- Shares the priorities of the backlog and the reasons behind them.
- Ensures that the PO shares the context and vision with everyone on the Scrum team.
- Responsible for conducting retrospective meetings.
- Leads, organizes and facilitates the sprint planning meetings.
- Acts as safeguard for multiple teams.
- Influences the organizational objectives multiple teams by providing input into operational plans that support the execution Agile processes across the organization.
- Typically has an impact on multiple Business Functions at CNO.
- Serves a resource and mentor for more junior Scrum Masters and colleagues.
- Has some basic commercial awareness and an understanding of financial industry developments and changes and how they may impact business areas served.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Scrum framework, Scrum values, Agile principles/methodologies/frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc), and values in the Agile manifesto to coach others; also has solid knowledge of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). Solid knowledge of Agile techniques such as Writing User Stories, DEVOPs, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, and Agile Games.
- Has a good understanding of several business functions supported and how the needs of multiple business functions can be met cross functionally.
- Strong communication and coaching skills.
- Strong listening skills and strong ability to influence through empathy to the problems and needs the teams and respective members.
- Strong conflict resolution skills handled through conversations focusing on scrum values of openness, honesty and respect.
- Uses a diverse range of internal and external sources (such as procedures and practices in other areas or companies) to provide recommended resolutions.
- Strong ability to analyze accurate sprint metrics such as team capacity and velocity to ensure that team is aware of their progress and ability to take on work in future sprints.
- Makes recommendations and works to build team consensus.
- Strong ability to coach and mentor individuals to foster professional growth of the team; shields teams from outside distractions and interferences.
- Strong ability to act as servant leader, frequently influencing without coercion.
- Strong project and time management skills.
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent.
- Scrum Master Certification (CSM, PSM, ACP) and a SAFe certification (SAFe Practitioner) is required.
- Typically, requires a minimum of five years of related experience, including leading/coaching scrum teams, projects, and/or business initiatives; as well as solid experience in Agile Methodologies.
- Coaching certificate preferred.
CNO Financial Group is a holding company that provides health and life insurance, as well as retirement solutions, to middle-income Americans through its family of established insurance brands: Bankers Life, Colonial Penn and Washington National. Our customers work hard to save for the future, and we help protect their health, income and retirement needs with 3.2 million policies and more than $35 billion in total assets. Our 3,400 associates, 5,000 exclusive agents and 4,000 independent partner agents guide individuals, families and businesses through a lifetime of financial decisions.
We are financially strong and well positioned for continued growth, and we are grounded in our core values of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I); Integrity, Customer Focus, Excellence, and Teamwork.
At CNO Financial Group, we’re always looking forward—to the security and stability we help create for our insurance brands’ customers, and the growth we create within our own company. We're looking for ambitious people who want to do more. We'll provide you with opportunities to grow your skills through challenging professional experiences.
If you're looking for a culture that encourages development, helps you reach your potential, and rewards you for your contribution, then CNO Financial Group is right for you. For more information, visit CNOinc.com.
*At this time, CNO is not mandating its associates to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. However, this is an evolving situation, in the future CNO may require its associates to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodations required by applicable law.
CNO Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. For more information, please click the following link:
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (English)
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (Spanish)
Right to Work Poster (English)
Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
As you explore job openings at CNO, please keep in mind that CNO will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And CNO will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a CNOinc.com or BankerLife.com email address.
If you receive an email purporting to be from CNO that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please contact law enforcement and report the email to [email protected]