Director Technical Platform Owner Data
As the Director, Technical Platform Owner on the Data Delivery team, you will own all aspects of the technology platforms within your assigned portfolio of software applications.
Job Summary: He/she will ensure successful delivery of all elements of assigned software applications including project management, delivery initiatives, product support, and capabilities. Key success factors of the role are tied to on-time, on-budget delivery of business initiatives, production stability and productive business relationships. Business initiatives may be fully delivered under the TPO’s direct span of control, or in the case of large, multi-system initiatives, in partnership with other TPOs and Program Managers.
- Has full management responsibility for assigned TPO area, which typically includes a team of manager(s) and/or collection of project managers and architects.
- Provides leadership, vision and direction for assigned portfolio of applications to ensure it will contribute to the achievement of company goals.
- In partnership with IT Business Relationship Managers (BRMs), fosters and develops productive relationships with business leaders and product managers across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value. Develops technology platform approaches for assigned portfolio.
- Drives innovation and experimental application work to test new ideas with bounded cost and time frames.
- Ensures that application processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards.
- Manages application group personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as build on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Works with product management to implement and oversees application product roadmaps status reporting, metrics and benchmarks.
- Accountable for associated relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
- Conducts regular surveys of stakeholder satisfaction with application products, publishes the results and, where necessary, implements action plans to improve satisfaction.
- Oversees the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application and product portfolio and their associated costs and risks. Overseeing support activities in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to ensure the application products perform well in production.
- Works with stakeholders to accomplish application product work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
- Overseeing development of processes and tools in conjunction with infrastructure and the DevOps lead, to automate the handoff of code releases (DevOps).
- Partners with the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) to ensure that the organization's application products are effectively secured and that large risks are mitigated.
- Typically, is involved in weekly meetings with ELG members to inform on assigned TPO initiatives.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- In-depth understanding of software application development principles and processes.
- Strong ability to lead and motivate teams by providing advice and guidance in a nonjudgmental fashion.
- Has understanding of strategic business objectives and business domain knowledge combined with the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Has an understanding of the financial/insurance industry in which CNO operates. Requires commercial awareness to understand the relative positioning of the company's products and services vs. the competition.
- Openness to, and the ability to deal with, rapid change in business needs, processes and technologies.
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management. Informs on progress of initiatives and/or in highly technical or specialized matters.
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive to decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
- Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and management of multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
- Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in process formulation and improvement.
- Proficiency with lean IT, agile development, and DevOps principles and frameworks preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, finance, business management or a related field. Master’s preferred.
- Typically, has at least ten years of experience including a minimum of 5 years of experience managing a team in application product development or implementations.
- Experience transitioning teams from traditional to agile development methodologies is preferred.
- Has demonstrated experience in liaising with middle and senior IT management.
* At CNO Financial Group, we welcome the diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of all to enable us to work together for the growth of the company
CNO Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. For more information, please click the following link:
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (English)
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (Spanish)
Right to Work Poster (English)
Right to Work Poster (Spanish)