Principal IT Business Architect
The role designs and maintains the enterprise business architecture, documented with business process and value chain maps and business capability maps and contextual interoperability diagrams across business capabilities. A Principal IT Business Architect’s responsibilities and accountabilities will span across many business functional and areas, supporting enterprise wide programs. The role aligns strategic goals and objectives with decisions regarding products and services, partners and suppliers, organization capabilities and key business and IT initiatives.
By working with key stakeholders across the enterprise, including executive leadership, the role designs the requirements, principles and models for the people, processes and technologies that support the company’s business capabilities and specified requirements for individual project requests. In response to new or enhanced business capabilities, the role updates and shares new documentation with enterprise architecture and application development technical leadership. In addition, in response to business project requests, the role will oversee and participate in the documentation business requirements and creates scoping documents which, in conjunction with business process and value chain maps, support high level estimation and enterprise prioritization and scheduling for delivery of technology projects.
Key Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- The role will shape the discovery process to ensure that Capability and Process definitions become requirements that are written in a way that supports scoping, high level estimation, prioritization and scheduling delivery of project requests.
- Directs, coaches and mentors other Business Analysts/Consultants across the organization, coordinates resources and activities across domains.
- Develops a business architecture strategy and influences a view of business capabilities (organization, process, tools, and technologies) required to deliver against business requirements.
- In response to varying and changing business technology requests, conducts requirements gathering sessions in order to define and document request scope and capture business requirements and associated business processes, value proposition / value stream and impacted or required business capabilities.
- Significantly contributes to development of strategies, principles and standards to guide business architecture efforts across the organization.
- Develops an understanding of the core and supporting processes of the business, including the people, resources and systems involved.
- Works across business and technical teams to influence technology investment decisions to ensure that they enhance business capabilities and execute on business objectives.
- Creates business models and roadmaps and assesses capability and process gaps between current and future states.
- Key Deliverables include (but not limited to): Capability Model, Capability Heatmaps, Capability Maturity Assessments, Capability Impact Assessments, Capability Health Assessments & Capability Roadmaps.
- Acts as an advisor on all major process and technology change projects.
- Acts as a link between business and technical experts when designing technology solutions.
- Advocates and drives adoption of ‘best practices’ to ensure standardization of business architecture outputs across the enterprise.
- Understand and interpret business strategy, goals and priorities across CNO business segments / business functions and serves as SME across various business segments or functions.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Enterprise-wide view of the business and varying degrees of appreciation for strategy and in-depth understanding and mastery of multiple enterprise business functions and domains.
- Thorough and in-depth knowledge of business architecture tools and concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of systems development life cycle, and methodologies such as waterfall and agile.
- Proven ability to interpret and contextualize strategy for operational needs via specific artifacts such as business capability maps, value streams to help bridge the gap between strategy and execution including planning, designing, developing, and deploying business process with the required IT capabilities.
- Experience in creating model based visual narratives that support strategic understanding of business capabilities and requirements associated with business initiatives.
- Ability to deconstruct and frame business needs and solutions in the context of complex operational and organizational landscapes.
- Presents thoughts effectively and persuasively with individuals at all levels within the organization including senior leaders.
- Provides input regarding complicated or delicate internal issues that have an important impact on the business.
- Highly effective facilitation skills within small or large group settings.
- The ability to apply architectural principles to business solutions and model business processes using a variety of tools and techniques.
- The ability to recognize structural issues within the organization, functional interdependencies and cross-silo redundancies.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Business, Economics or similar; Master’s preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of ten years of demonstrated business experience with thorough knowledge of business analysis, process improvement, business transformation, and/or business strategy development within complex organizations and business environments.
- Ability to effectively engage senior stakeholders in cross domain negotiations around business solution options and resolution of conflicts related to business intent, scope, cost/benefit, etc.
- Deep insurance industry knowledge with a detailed understanding of the company’s landscape from a business and system perspective.
- Ability to convey information in accurate and consumable models. Ability to translate concepts into terms understandable by everyone as well as provide visualizations to clearly and concisely portray key points of the intended message or purpose.
- Business Architect certification (Business Architecture Institute or Guild) preferred.
CNO Financial Group is a holding company that provides health and life insurance, as well as retirement solutions, to middle-income Americans through its family of established insurance brands: Bankers Life, Colonial Penn and Washington National. Our customers work hard to save for the future, and we help protect their health, income and retirement needs with 3.2 million policies and more than $35 billion in total assets. Our 3,400 associates, 5,000 exclusive agents and 4,000 independent partner agents guide individuals, families and businesses through a lifetime of financial decisions.
We are financially strong and well positioned for continued growth, and we are grounded in our core values of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I); Integrity, Customer Focus, Excellence, and Teamwork.
At CNO Financial Group, we’re always looking forward—to the security and stability we help create for our insurance brands’ customers, and the growth we create within our own company. We're looking for ambitious people who want to do more. We'll provide you with opportunities to grow your skills through challenging professional experiences.
If you're looking for a culture that encourages development, helps you reach your potential, and rewards you for your contribution, then CNO Financial Group is right for you. For more information, visit CNOinc.com.
CNO Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. For more information, please click the following link:
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (English)
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (Spanish)
Right to Work Poster (English)
Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
As you explore job openings at CNO, please keep in mind that CNO will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And CNO will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a CNOinc.com or BankerLife.com email address.
If you receive an email purporting to be from CNO that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please contact law enforcement and report the email to [email protected]