Position: Systems Engineer (Product)
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 4+ years of experience
Education: College / University Degree in an Engineering Discipline
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self-driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
Systems Engineering is about creating something that is more than the sum of the parts. You will be responsible for using your varied experience and appropriate modelling and analytical methodologies to determine the solution to a product problem by applying the optimum combination of mechanical, electronic and software solutions. You will work directly with the other teams in the Software, Electronics, Test and Mechanical Design disciplines to interpret the product requirements and produce an integrated product. You will then be responsible for defining the specifications of the final product and validating that it meets the requirements.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Managing engineering development of our key products
- Working with the product engineering teams to develop engineering requirements/specifications
- Managing requirements traceability through the product design and validation phase
- Help Program and Product teams set priorities for towards design tasks in the development lifecycle
- Prepare product validation plan and authoring test plans for Test teams
- Use appropriate modeling and simulation techniques to the design problems to allow for rapid iteration
- Key stakeholder in product safety compliance and certification process
- Communicating technical details and status to the broader project team
- Reporting on project progress and risks
- Providing input on new product direction and scope
- Assisting with component selection
- Authoring new product requirements based on the lessons learned from your design and commissioning activities;
- Sharing your insights, knowledge, and lessons learned;
You want to work for a fast-moving company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems.
As an experienced Systems Engineer, you believe that the final product is more than the sum of its component parts and live in this area of optimizing the intersection of the components. You are no stranger to the intricacies of engineering compromise and the need to consider all aspects of the whole when crafting the ultimate fulfillment of the requirements. Your mastery comes from your tertiary degree in an engineering discipline and years of experience in developing systems involving mechanical, electronic, and software aspects. You are able to break down a complex system into models and validate these as being representative of the real system.
You come ready with:
- Bachelor Degree in Software, Hardware, Systems, Mechatronics or related field
- Holding or working towards a current PEO license
- 4 years of experience in systems design engineering in robotics, automotive, or logistics industries
- Demonstrated ability with supporting leadership on engineering projects over the complete Engineering lifecycle
- Exposure with a range of interdisciplinary activities: system design, requirements development, interface design and testing
- Exposure to a broad range of interdisciplinary departments: mechanical, electrical, software design and manufacturing
- Experience creating and validating Engineering Requirements in accordance with the V-Model
- Experience with product designing and development life cycle
- Ability to work with systems design involving mechanical, electronic, software, and HMI
- An understanding of Product Development and Deployment
- Knowledge of industrial standards for Safety, Risk Assessments, Industrial Automation or Robotics
- Excellent communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills, excellent analytical abilities and ability to work in a team
- Experience with vehicle development and/or industrial automation design & integration
- Able to write scripts and programs to solve your calculation and design problems. MatLab, Python, C, or similar.
- Experience in Hardware-in-the-Loop testing
- Experience with ROS
- Technical Project/Program Management Experience
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.