Industrial Simulation Engineer
Position: Industrial Simulation Services, Simulation Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3-5 Years of relevant work experience
Division: OTTO Motors
Area of Study: Industrial/ Mechanical/ Mechatronics/ Systems Engineering
NOTE: Must be able to travel to the U.S at time of application.
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About Clearpath Robotics Research Solutions
Clearpath Robotics’ research solutions group is a global leader in unmanned vehicle robotics for research and development, and provides hardware, software, and services to enable self-driving vehicle development, deployment, and operation. Clearpath Robotics works with over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands in over 40 countries, serving markets that span mining, military, agriculture, aerospace, and academia. Visit Clearpath Robotics at www.clearpathrobotics.com.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
Having 10’s of robots run around our offices is great, but having hundreds of robots running around inside our computers is even better. Rich simulation environments offer a wide range of benefits to many aspects of our business: fast research, development and validation, sharp marketing tools and strong customer experience / support.
We're looking for a Simulation Engineer to create and run simulations that will help us optimize our robot fleets and system solutions. As a part of the Industrial Simulation Services (ISS) team, you will act as a subject matter expert and lead modeling and simulation activities. The ISS team works closely with our Systems Engineering, Applications Engineering and Project Management team, to support overall solution design from initial concept all the way to full system design and deployment. You will be building material flow strategies (based on self-driving vehicles) for products already in our arsenal and ones that do not yet exist. Your goal is to develop accurate and robust simulations to evaluate design, lower risk, and enhance the elegance of our solutions to fuel our growth.
- Creating discrete event simulations for real and hypothetical systems, estimating fleet sizes, identifying traffic bottlenecks, testing what-if scenarios to optimize performance of robot fleets
- Consulting with project leads, sales team members and customers to obtain understanding of the requirements and to collect the necessary inputs
- Advising on simulation based metrics to evaluate system risks and performance
- Analyzing results and making recommendations for facility and material flow design
- Presenting your simulation results to our team of engineers, our sales team, and to clients
- Validating models against real world data to maintain accuracy relative to product portfolio
- Growing and improving our simulation library and internal templates for functionality, accuracy, scalability and efficiency
- Drafting functional specifications, proposals and effort estimation
- Recommending product feature and improvement ideas to our Product and Engineering teams, that lead to greater system optimization in the real world
Additional tasks may include:
- Interacting with our development team as necessary to assess impact of new feature or product
- Developing simulation models to assist Sales & Marketing in demonstrating Clearpath's products and capabilities
- Using your expertise to assist our engineering services group in developing the more complex system concepts
You're excited about the role that robots will play in the future, and intrigued by the challenge of joining a young company in this high-growth market. You have skills and experience that you know can make a difference with the Clearpath team, whether we're looking for them or not. You are driven and view work as more than just a job. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems.
Most of all, you want to be on the right side during the coming robot revolution.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven success using simulation solutions to evaluate feasibility of facility design or operational changes
- Experience with discrete event simulation tools like Simio, AutoMod, AnyLogic, FlexSim, Delmia, and understanding of its limitations
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional and external client teams to gather comprehensive data required for model development and/or analysis
- Fearless in questioning to ensure end users get the most value out of your work. You understand the importance of early goal alignment and scope definition
- Effectively communicate complex model functionality to the client or internal team for assurance of model results accuracy
- Customer-first mindset
- Avid self-learner
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and manage deadlines.
- Able to cope with sudden jarring changes in projects, priorities, and the local gravity field.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience identifying traffic and material flow bottlenecks and mitigating risk
- Experience in manufacturing industry
- Understanding of different industry warehouses.
- You see block diagrams and flowcharts everywhere and speak the language.
- Experience with Object-Oriented programming
- Working knowledge of one or more of C#, Python, VB.NET
- Exposure to working with ROS, Gazebo
- Past participation in simulation challenges
What’s in it for you:
Flexible Hours, Health Benefits, Parental Leave, Vacation, Equity, Community Days (paid), Half-Day Birthdays, Passionate and Dedicated Teams
Curious to know more about the culture at Clearpath & OTTO, check out: https://clearpathrobotics.com/blog/category/blog/culture/
Come join us if you feel like our values resonate with you, and if you are interested in being a part of making industrial workplaces safer and revolutionizing automation.
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.