Position: Senior Systems Engineer
Location: South-Western Ontario
Education: College Diploma / University Degree in an Engineering Discipline
Division: OTTO Motors
About OTTO™ Motors (Division of Clearpath Robotics)
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
The Systems Engineering (SE) team works closely with our Project Management Office (PMO) within our professional services organization to deliver business value to our end users, channel partners, and for OTTO Motors. SEs design and implement fleets of OTTO autonomous mobile robots (AMR) and software at our customer facilities. In addition, the SE team delivers training to our integration partners and end-users, and evaluates use cases to establish guidelines, standards, and best practices for how OTTO Motors products can be used by the market, specifically by our integrator network. Furthermore, the SE team is a major contributor to defining our product requirements and is a major influencer of our product roadmap.
Primary responsibilities include:
- understanding customer requirements and ensuring clarity of all requirements prior to proceeding with the detailed design;
- consulting with applications engineering during the requirements and concept definition process; documenting/updating the requirements when needed
- detailed design & integration of AMR systems using OTTO Motors products to meet the customer requirements; this includes design of the workflow as well as the communications required from our system to any third party automation systems in the facility where the system is being installed
- authoring & executing acceptance test plans for validation of system functionality and performance;
- optimizing system performance through analysis, simulation, and experimentation;
- project planning for the deliverables and work packages you own;
- communicating technical details and status to the customer and broader project team;
- consulting with integration partners on all of the above
Additional responsibilities include:
- authoring new product requirements based on the lessons learned from your design and commissioning activities;
- working with the systems engineering team to improve department tools, processes, and working relationships with other departments;
- delivery of training to integration partners as well as end users
- ability to travel for business within North America, Europe and Asia; ~30 - 40 % travel commitment (NOTE: No travel outside of North America currently with the COVID-19 travel restrictions)
You want to work for a fast-moving company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people who are creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. You have a customer-first mentality and strive to exceed customer expectations.
As an experienced Systems Engineer you believe that the final product is more than the sum of its component parts and live in this area of optimising the intersection of the components. You are no stranger to the intricacies of engineering compromise and the need to consider all aspects of the whole when crafting the ultimate fulfillment of the system requirements. Your mastery comes from years of experience in designing and integrating complex systems solutions for industrial automation applications. You are able to represent a complex system via a simplified block diagram representation to convey the objective and details to the end user systematically.
- 5+ years of experience commissioning & integrating industrial automated equipment or software that interfaces to the equipment
- college/university diploma or degree in an engineering, design, or industrial controls type of field
- experience working directly with clients/end-users
- planning and organization (how to approach and solve a problem, work breakdown to achieve the end goal, etc.)
- strong communicator, verbal and written
- self-motivated and organized with a keen eye for detail
- ability to navigate through and program PLCs
- interpretation & design analysis of mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
Bonus for experience:
- data analysis experience
- authoring and modifying software code (python, C++, or other
- experience with inductive automation ignition OPC/UA software
- familiarity of working with Linux
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.