Senior Systems Engineer
Position: Senior Systems Engineer
Experience: 8+ years of relevant work experience
Education: College Diploma / University Degree in an Engineering Discipline
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
The Systems Engineering (SE) team works closely with our Project Management Office (PMO) within our professional services organization to deliver business value to our end users, channel partners, and for OTTO Motors. SEs design and implement fleets of OTTO autonomous mobile robots (AMR) and software at our customer facilities. In addition, the SE team delivers training to our integration partners and end-users, and creates, implements, and evaluates use cases to establish guidelines, standards, and best practices for how OTTO Motors products can be used by the market, specifically by our integrator network. Furthermore, the SE team is a major contributor to defining our product requirements and is a major influencer of our product roadmap.
You will be responsible for:
- understanding customer requirements and ensuring clarity of all requirements prior to proceeding with the detailed design;
- consulting with applications engineering during the requirements and concept definition process;
- detailed design of AMR systems using OTTO Motors products to meet the customer requirements; this includes design of the workflow as well as the communications required from our system to any third party automation systems in the facility where the system is being installed
- authoring & executing acceptance test plans for validation of system functionality and performance;
- commissioning & integration of AMR systems at client facilities throughout the world; this includes traveling to customer or integration partner facility for on-site deployment
- optimizing system performance through analysis, simulation, and experimentation;
- project planning for the deliverables and work packages you own;
- communicating technical details and status to the customer and broader project team;
- consulting with integration partners on all of the above
- delivery of training to integration partners as well as end users
- solving new and challenging technical problems related to the above.
Additional responsibilities include:
- authoring new product requirements based on the lessons learned from your design and commissioning activities;
- sharing your insights, knowledge, and lessons learned;
- select ‘investment projects’ for pre-verification of new product features and performance;
- working with the systems engineering team to improve department tools, processes, and working relationships with other departments;
- ability to travel for business within North America, Europe and Asia; ~30 - 40 % travel commitment (NOTE: No travel outside of North America currently with the COVID-19 travel restrictions)
You want to work for a fast-moving company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people who are creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. You have a customer-first mentality and strive to exceed customer expectations.
As an experienced Systems Engineer you believe that the final product is more than the sum of its component parts and live in this area of optimising the intersection of the components. You are no stranger to the intricacies of engineering compromise and the need to consider all aspects of the whole when crafting the ultimate fulfillment of the system requirements. Your mastery comes from your tertiary degree in an engineering discipline and years of experience in designing and integration complex systems solutions for industrial automation applications. You are able to represent a complex system via a simplified block diagram representation to convey the objective and details to the end user systematically.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- 5+ years of experience commissioning & integrating industrial automated equipment or software that interfaces to the equipment
- college/university diploma or degree in an engineering, design, or industrial controls type of field
- experience analyzing performance of automated systems
- experience working directly with clients/end-users
- planning and organization (how to approach and solve a problem, work breakdown to achieve the end goal, etc.)
- strong communicator, verbal and written
- self-motivated and organized
- a keen eye for detail
- demonstrated ability to work with Linux
- authoring and modifying software code (python, C++, or other)
- comfort navigating through and programming PLCs
- interpretation & design analysis of mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
Bonus for experience:
- training users of automated equipment/software
- lean manufacturing education
- data analysis experience
- working with Atlassian Confluence products
- experience with inductive automation ignition OPC/UA software
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.