Electrical Designer (Clearpath Robotics)
Position: Electrical Designer (Clearpath Robotics)
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Experience: 3-5 Years relevant experience
Education: Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering or Equivalent Experience
Division: Clearpath Robotics
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through engineering and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About Clearpath Robotics Research Solutions
Clearpath Robotics’ research solutions group is a global leader in unmanned vehicle robotics for research and development, and provides hardware, software, and services to enable self-driving vehicle development, deployment, and operation. Clearpath Robotics works with over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands in over 40 countries, serving markets that span mining, military, agriculture, aerospace, and academia. Visit Clearpath Robotics at www.clearpathrobotics.com.
About the Job
We’re shipping more and more robots and seeing new uses for our products emerge every day! We need an Electrical Designer to help us take our innovative designs from napkin sketches to hundreds of pounds of precisely moving parts and facilitate every step in-between.
You will be responsible for the electrical/electronics designs of existing and new research industrial robotics products. This will range through the entire design process from initial concept design and cost forecasting through to detailed design, verification and validation, and final release to production. Design challenges will span from high-level system architecture, power distribution to board layout, and field testing.
You will be responsible for significant portions of the electrical design for our new and existing products. Our hardware must be many things, but reliability is paramount. It will be your job to build systems that can operate in whatever environment we subject them to, all while keeping the motors turning for our mechanical team and the 1’s and 0’s flowing properly for our software developers.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Electrical design on robotics platforms
- Diagnostics and design revisions of complex mobile robots and manipulation systems
- Power distribution, battery implementation and motor systems
- Low speed digital/analog circuit design
- Cable assembly design
- PCB design
- Integration and testing of prototypes into fearsome robots
Additional tasks may include:
- Care, feeding, and testing of new products
- Evaluating how we can apply lessons-learned from other industries to our designs
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of robotics equipment at customer facilities; occasional travel may be required
- Supporting the evaluation of existing and new suppliers
- Certification and compliance reviews
- Mentoring and assisting with supervision of technicians and co-op students
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Electrical systems design (2+ yrs)
- Prototyping and debugging experience (2+ yrs)
- Proven good skills using industry-standard CAE design tools
- Electrical/electronic component selection and validation
- Comfortable with working closely within a dynamic multidisciplinary project team
Bonus points for:
- Experience with sensor selection and integration (proximity, LIDAR, cameras etc)
- Knowledge of communications architectures including ethernet, USB, CAN bus, RS422/485 and I2C
- Battery & power systems design and related monitoring technology
- Motor controller design & implementation experience
- Power electronics & SMPS design experience
- Experience with Altium, Vesys and Solidworks
- Experience with DFx (DFM, DFA, DFT)
- Breadth of knowledge includes things mechanical
- Full-spectrum PDLC (Product Development Life Cycle) experience.
- Industrial safety system design and FMEA
- Standards and/or certification authority experience (UL, CSA, CE, FCC, ESA and NEC)
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.