Autonomy Engineer - Multi-agent Navigation
Position: Autonomy Engineer- Multi-agent-Navigation
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-5 years of relevant work experience
Education: Graduate Degree in a related field
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit https://ottomotors.com/
About the Job
Clearpath's OTTO Motors robots lead the industry in self-driving materials handling, and you can help us push robotics to the next level of intelligence and performance. This means continually learning, inventing, and implementing new algorithms for navigation, collaboration, and control - all with an emphasis on robust and reliable best practice programming. We're looking for people excited to develop the core software for fleets of multi-ton robots, find optimal routes through the most complex work environments around the world, and safely balance millimeter tracking accuracy with maximum driving performance.
The navigation team’s primary responsibility is robotics software development, testing, and support. You will be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve our self-driving capabilities, selecting the best research and/or industry algorithms to employ, and developing high-performance implementations that expand our core autonomy software. As part of the team, your input will be integral for reviewing and supporting the designs, implementations, and tests developed by other autonomy engineers. Finally, as part of OTTO, we work closely with both industry and academia, where you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with our partners and see your ideas making a measurable difference in the world.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Developing collaboration, navigation, and control software
- Testing/reviewing software for reliability/performance
- Conducting research projects to expand our capabilities
- Supporting deployment, product, and testing teams
Additional tasks may include:
- Collaborating with academic/industry partners
- Mentoring and assisting with supervision of interns
- Writing research papers for academic publication
- Explaining our newest shiny toys to sales & marketing
You want to work for a company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, here to make a difference, and never satisfied with work left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and thrive on challenging, rewarding problems.
Required Technical Skills:
- Graduate degree in engineering or a related field, with applicable background
- Practical knowledge in two or more areas of: path planning, motion planning, mobile robot control, vehicle modelling, and multi-agent systems
- Strong software development skills in Modern C++
- Proficiency with Linux
- Hands-on experience with autonomous systems
Desired Soft Skills:
- Ability to efficiently and clearly communicate ideas, including to those who may have a limited theoretical background in the area
- Ability to reliably plan and estimate development time requirements
- A learning mindset and positive attitude
- Comfortable with abrupt changes to project deadlines, job responsibilities, and the local gravity field
Bonus points for:
- ROS experience
- Strong Python / Lua skills
- Experience with the control of differential drive, bicycle, and tricycle ground vehicles
- Understanding of sensors and their error models, particularly laser rangefinders, GPS systems, and vision systems
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.