Electrical Development Team Lead
Position: Electrical Development Team Lead
Location: Kitchener, ON
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Experience: 5+ years relevant work experience
Education: Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience
Division: OTTO Motors
About OTTO™ Motors (Division of Clearpath Robotics)
OTTO™ Motors is a growing, disruptive company, making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self-driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
About the Job
You will guide and manage the Electrical Development Engineering team by providing tactical day-to-day guidance and direction; establishing team strategy (objectives, metrics, priorities, and best practices); enabling the team to perform at their best, as well as applying your technical expertise to solve complex problems. In addition, you will be responsible for significant portions of the electrical system design and implementation for our new and existing products.
The Electrical Development team works closely with our hardware, software, and new product development teams to establish sustainable development and support of our products, providing a robust design to our customers.
In addition, the team will adhere to safety standards and processes such as ISO13849, ISO12100, IEC61508, R15.08, and IEC 3691-4 or similar standards applicable to mobile robots.
Furthermore, the team is a contributor to defining our product requirements and is an influencer of our product roadmap.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delegate, schedule, and manage tasks within the Electrical Development Team’s domain
- Providing performance and development feedback
- Ensuring consistent quality of service and deliverables from the Electrical Development group
- Working with and improving our existing processes for Electrical design and development on our products
- Adapting and improving the overall service and performance
- Develop working relationships with vendors to help ensure OTTO motors is selecting the highest quality and latest technology parts in our products
- Lead some technical projects yourself
- Industrial control system design and architecture with an eye to ISO 13849, ANSI B56.5, IEC 61508 and others as needed.
- Support high-level vehicle architecture design
- First level of triage for electrical issues
- Verifying basic robot functionality (ROS skills as needed)
- Prototype assembly (Build parts of the robot as needed)
- Design Documentation (Meeting minutes, requirements definition, architecture documents, controls analysis, CAD, PLM, internal troubleshooting, assembly and installation documentation)
- Write and execute good validation and test plans for new vehicle technologies that make clear and actionable conclusions
- Be knowledgeable in the robot product lifecycle, and bring-in feedback from all relevant parties at the right time.
- Degree in engineering, computer science, robotics, or a related field with applicable background
- 1-2+ years’ experience in a management role in an engineering environment
- 5+ years of experience in electrical engineering roles
- Effective decision making
- Strong communicator
- Project and resource management experience
- Technical acuity (e.g., ideas contributor to implementation strategies, product features and requirements)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and manage deadlines.
- Experience with hands-on prototyping and troubleshooting of electromechanical systems
- Able to understand and communicate concepts readily via sketches, block diagrams, flow charts, and technical writing
- Able to work in Canada
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working with industrial robots.
- Experience in designing to comply with the European, US and Canadian standards, particularly FCC and CE or liaising with NRTLs
- Experience with design for functional safety (ISO 12100, EN 61508, etc.)
- Knowledge of WHMA/IPC-A-620
- Experience with C Language software solutions on embedded platforms e.g. C++ and Python
- Experience with the V-model or other similar verification and validation methodologies
- Working knowledge of aspects of mobile robotics such as perception, planning, controls, and navigation
- Power distribution and motor systems
- Low speed digital/analog circuit design
- Cable assembly design
- PCBA design, microprocessor and network integration (CAN, Ethernet, ModBUS etc.)
- Familiarity with industrial material handling vehicles
- Experience with ROS
- Past hands-on experience with mobile robots, industrial trucks, or AGCs as an operator or developer
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.