Perception Autonomy Developer Co-op
Position: Perception Autonomy Developer Co-op
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Study Level: Senior
Area of study: Computer Science/ Software Engineering, or similar
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research products and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self-driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit https://ottomotors.com
About the Job
Clearpath's OTTO Motors robots lead the industry in self-driving materials handling, and you can help us push robotics to the next level of intelligence and performance. This means continually learning, inventing, and implementing new algorithms, all with an emphasis on robust and reliable best practice programming. We're looking for people excited to develop the next generation of perception algorithms to tackle the toughest challenges in localization and mapping, machine learning, computer vision and more.
The perception team’s primary responsibility is the development of the core robotics software responsible for environmental perception and understanding on all of our vehicles. As a Perception Autonomy Developer you will work on the testing and development of core robotics software responsible for environmental perception and understanding on all our vehicles. You will be responsible for evaluating state-of-the-art ideas from academia and industry, and taking these ideas out of the lab and into the real world, identifying opportunities to improve, and developing high-performance software to run in real time on the robots.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Create robust innovative solutions to the problems of robotic perception
- Development of custom SLAM, computer vision, machine learning, target tracking and perception algorithms
- Evaluation of new perception algorithms and sensing technology
- Design and implement new perception systems and algorithms
- Develop integration and unit tests for perception features
- Supporting deployment and testing of robotic systems
Additional tasks may include:
- Collaboration with internal teams including the Simulation Team and Navigation Team
- Triage and support of live industrial systems in the field
- Practical and theoretical knowledge in at least one or more areas of: state estimation, computer vision, SLAM, machine learning, target detection and tracking, robotic perception
- Strong software development skills in modern C++
- Proficiency with Linux
- Excellent teamwork/communication skills
- Ability to independently develop high quality software solutions
Bonus points for:
- Hands-on experience with real autonomous systems
- Experience writing efficient, high performance code
- ROS, TensorFlow, Gazebo, and PCL experience
- Familiarity with graph optimization techniques and libraries
- Experience with git or other DVCS systems and other software development processes
- Understanding of sensor error modeling, particularly laser rangefinders and vision systems
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.