Position: Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3+ years
Education: Bachelor’s degree in industrial, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About the Job
As a leading technology company, our existing products are constantly evolving and new ones are emerging. In this position, your main goal is to prepare our assembly lines for new products, and support existing assembly lines through continual process improvement activities. You are not afraid to go to the gemba and speak face-to-face with the experts in our facility: our robot builders.
As our Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for seizing opportunities to improve safety, quality, and (lastly) cycle time across our assembly lines. You will design custom tooling and fixtures to support our assembly processes, and you are also able to coordinate with third-party vendors as needed to bring large-scale solutions in-house. You are super-organized and have strong attention to detail. You hold safety as the highest priority and are able to identify and implement controls for factors that may impact product quality. You will use your experience with production processes to improve material flow and design workstation layouts that will help our builders do their best work.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Interpret engineering drawings and electrical schematics
- Create and update visual work instructions
- Perform time studies and gather data to support CI initiatives
- Improve workstation layout and material flow, reduce waste
- Design tooling and fixtures in Solidworks
- Create engineering drawings and submit drawing packages for review
- Specify and procure tools/equipment/PPE as needed to introduce new processes to Production
- Test, validate, and prepare documentation for new equipment
- Create & update process documentation
- Perform training with stakeholders as needed to roll out your new process changes/improvements
- Support the implementation of ECNs in the production environment
- Perform facility walk through inspections to support 5S
- Assist with the investigation & resolution of health & safety issues
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with less than 100% effort. You pride yourself on a job well done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- P.Eng or EIT
- Experience creating or revising process documentation
- Understanding of DFMAD and typical assembly processes
- Solidworks CAD modeling
- Engineering drawings, GD&T
- Familiar with Engineering Change Management processes (ECOs/ECNs)
- Experience working directly with suppliers and creating RFQs and/or purchase requisitions.
- Lean manufacturing experience
- Excellent written communication
- High level of attention to detail
- Able to read and interpret mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- Experience maintaining BOMs/BOOs in a production environment
- Hands-on experience with common tools (i.e screwdriver, hammer, electric drill)
Nice to have:
- 2-D modeling in Draftsight
- Arena PLM or Solidworks PDM
- Confluence Jira or Wiki
- Epicor or a similar ERP system
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2015
- Familiar with principles of ESD control
- Python programming experience
- Knowledge of SQL and databases.
- Lean training at a green or black belt level
- Experience working in a facility with TPM
- Experience being a member of a JHSC
- Familiar with the OHSA & its associated regulations.
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.