Position: Systems Integrator
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-3 years of relevant work experience (including co-op/internship)
Education: College Diploma / University Degree in an Engineering Discipline
Division: OTTO Motors
About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About OTTO™ Motors
OTTO™ Motors is making material handling in industrial settings safer, easier, and more efficient through development of hardware and software that automates movement of goods in busy factories and warehouses. The company’s industry-leading self-driving technology provides automated and on-demand material handling in the most demanding industrial environments, spanning automotive, medical device, aerospace, logistics, and more. Customers trusting their mission-critical material handling needs to OTTO Motors include Fortune 100 brands GE, Toyota, and Caterpillar. For more information visit www.ottomotors.com.
According to US NSC statistics from 2019: 8,140 injuries were related to forklift operations. These numbers have continued to increase. By replacing manually driven forklifts with autonomous vehicles, accident rates can be reduced and lives can be saved. Even if the work you will be doing with the Systems Engineering team impacts those numbers by 0.1%, it means that 8 people will be going home safely at the end of their shift. To us, it matters.
The Systems Engineering (SE) team works closely with our Project Management Office (PMO) within our professional services organization to deliver business value to our end users, channel partners, and for OTTO Motors. The SE team is responsible for the design and integration of OTTO AMR (Autonomous Mobile Robots) fleet solutions at customer facilities. You will be an integral part of a team that works on projects resulting in a significant transformation of processes & automation at our customer facilities.
In addition, the SE team delivers training to our integration partners and end-users; creates, implements, and evaluates use cases to establish guidelines, standards, and best practices for how OTTO Motors products can be used by the market, specifically by our integrator network. Furthermore, the SE team is a major contributor to defining our product requirements and has an influence on our product roadmap.
We will need you to bring your customer-first mindset along with a desire to apply your technical skills to break down challenges & problems, and work on them one at a time. As you are working on project tasks & individual problems, we will need you to always keep the bigger picture in mind (how your contributions will result in a positive impact for our customers’ processes, as well as safety).
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- understanding customer requirements and how your tasks on a given project will result in fulfilling those requirements
- commissioning, integration & support of mock workflows at our test facility to enable testing of different sample use cases as well as project specific workflows
- troubleshooting software & hardware technical issues using internal tools available
- authoring & executing acceptance test plans for validation of system functionality and performance
- developing & maintaining reference documentation & tools that help improve the SE team’s ability to design & deploy AMR systems
- supporting the detailed design, commissioning & integration of AMR systems at client facilities throughout the world; this includes traveling to customer or integration partner facility for on-site deployment
- optimizing system performance through analysis, simulation, and experimentation
- communicating technical details and status to the customer and broader project team;
- solving new and challenging technical problems related to the above
Additional responsibilities include:
- authoring new product requirements based on the lessons learned from your design and commissioning activities;
- sharing your insights, knowledge, and lessons learned;
- ability to travel for business within North America, Europe and Asia; ~25 - 35 % travel commitment (NOTE: No travel outside of Canada currently with the COVID-19 travel restrictions)
- delivery of training to integration partners as well as end users
Required skills & Experience:
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience (including co-op/internship)
- College Diploma / University Degree in an Engineering Discipline or relevant technical field
- interpretation & design analysis of mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- planning & organization (how to approach and solve a problem, work breakdown to achieve the end goal, etc.)
- strong communicator, verbal and written
- self-motivated and organized
Nice to Have:
- demonstrated ability to work with CAD tools such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.
- interest in developing systems integration skillset and PLC programming
- exposure to working with Linux based OS (Operating System)
- authoring and modifying software code (python, C++, or other)
What’s in it for you:
Flexible Hours, Career Growth, Health Benefits, Parental Leave, Vacation, Equity, Community Days (paid), Half-Day Birthdays, Passionate and Dedicated Teams
Curious to know more about the culture at Clearpath & OTTO, check out: https://clearpathrobotics.com/blog/category/blog/culture/
Come join us if you feel like our values resonate with you, and if you are interested in being a part of making industrial workplaces safer and revolutionizing automation.
At Clearpath, we are committed to building and supporting a culture of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.