Senior Corporate Counsel
Senior Corporate Counsel
Are you passionate about Legal Counseling? Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact in a global company? We need people like you to help us hire the best in the business and we're excited to have you join us in this significant role to ensure we continue to build a diverse and engaged workforce! Come be part of something special at CJ Logistics America!
The Senior Corporate Counsel is responsible for leading the corporate legal initiatives. The Senior Corporate Counsel provides management with effective legal advice on company initiatives and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. Senior Corporate Counsel is directly involved in negotiating critical business contracts and agreements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Corporate Governance / Compliance: Works with general counsel to prepare board resolutions and other required governance documents. Manages legal compliance with states and agencies, including business licensing, state authorities, transportation licensing, including managing outside counsel assisting with areas. Advise on any international compliance requirements or developments requiring action.
- Real Estate: Works with outside real estate brokers to identify properties for customer opportunities. Prepares and reviews leases and other real estate agreements; negotiates terms and conducts time-sensitive searches. Works with finance to ensure payments are consistent with lease obligations.
- Commercial Contracts: Drafts, reviews and negotiates a wide range of commercial agreements, including customer contracts, vendor contracts, and leases and consulting agreements.
- Legal Support: Provides practical legal support and advice to operations and employees at all levels in the organization. Advises managers on contract status, legal risks, and business terms of various deals. Assists with the corporate governance and compliance function to ensure timely filings and appropriate formalities. Collaborates with Finance, IT, and Business Managers on managing overall company risk in areas of insurance, cyber liability, product liability, real estate, and physical assets.
- Employment Matters (Preferred): Advises regarding employment issues/rights while recommending legal action; mediates between employees and CJL and represents CJL in mediations or agency proceedings. Works in collaboration with the HR Function and other outside counsel to judge the merits of claims filed against the company and works with appropriate management to define the defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted in the following employment areas:
- Workers’ compensation
- Termination of employment
- Sexual harassment
- Workplace safety
- Wage and overtime standards
- Privacy rights
- Discrimination against employees based on age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, marital status, medical conditions, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
- Employee benefits including leaves of absence
- Manage outside counsel: Manages outside counsel representing company on claims and litigation matters, including facilitating information gathering and consistent strategy
- Additional duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Law Degree
- Admission to the Illinois Bar
- 5-7 years of experience in a law firm or corporate legal department
- Prior experience with corporate governance and compliance required, international company exposure is preferred
- Some knowledge of the Supply Chain / Logistics business is preferred
CJ Logistics loves collaboration and a team environment. Therefore, this role is located at our Corporate Office in Des Plaines, IL and has a hybrid work arrangement (3 days on site and 2 days remote). Candidates must live within a commutable distance to the corporate office.
Pay, Benefits and More:
- Competitive compensation package
- Full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), Life insurance, tuition assistance, PTO and MORE!
- Growing company with a performance record that continues to climb!
- Opportunity to drive significant changes in Talent Acquisition with an ability to make an impact across the organization
- Open-door work environment
- High Performance culture with a focus on a growth mindset where continuous improvement is embraced
- Opportunities for advancement!
CJ Logistics America About Statement:
CJ Logistics America delivers integrated and multimodal logistics services, connecting every corner of the world via air, sea and land. As a lead logistics partner (LLP), third-party logistics provider (3PL) and supply chain consultant, we help customers leverage supply chain management as a competitive advantage, reducing total system costs, transforming business processes, improving service and facilitating growth and change. With a focus on social responsibility and sustainability through growth with customers and communities, we prioritize the wellbeing of the end consumer, our customers and our employees. CJ Logistics America is responsible for the North America region, specializing in solutions for regulated industries such as food and beverage, consumer-packaged goods, healthcare and medical supplies, and tire and automotive.
CJ Logistics America is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, CJ Logistics America participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.