Director, Transportation Brokerage
The Director, Transportation Brokerage role is responsible for building the infrastructure from scratch for a new Brokerage office. In addition, this role will be responsible for all business activity which includes, but is not limited to, the management of sales and operations employees as well as full P&L responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and mentor the brokerage team to achieve individual and company goals.
- Determine areas of opportunity and implement processes to improve the team.
- Create team goals and evaluate employee progress daily.
- Develop a carrier sales team.
- Provide leadership for a freight brokerage operation and manage departmental performance using a range of objective operational and financial measures.
- Build, lead and develop a strong, results-oriented team.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan to expand an effective carrier brokerage service offering and identify target client markets.
- Develop, implement and drive a continuous improvement strategy within the business to result in ongoing incremental gains in quality and efficiency.
- Develop strategic partnerships with all internal departments to cultivate and develop new business.
- Assist the leadership team in strategic planning for growth of the brokerage.
- Assist in mode and service offering strategies and execution.
- Assist with solution design, marketing, and industry positioning efforts.
- Manage, develop and guide teams as assigned.
- Play an active, direct role in sales and marketing efforts for the brokerage.
- Assist in creation, development, and/or ongoing success of assigned branches/units.
- Assist with all departmental business and financial planning including, but not limited to structure, short & long-term vision, compensation models, incentive plans, KPIs, reporting and other planning as assigned.
- Communicate company and departmental goals and status to employees on a regular basis.
- Provide oral and written presentations to company leadership and external stakeholders.
- Represent the company according to all company policies and expectations.
- Serve as the leader of the brokerage office and work to consistently grow the office year over year through strategic initiatives.
- Develop and communicate strategic growth plan to respective parties.
- Manage a team responsible for all day-to-day brokerage activities (sales, marketing, freight operations, enterprise systems, program management).
- Rapidly scale sales and operations teams with relevant hires and process.
- Foster growth in brokerage business through collaboration with all company departments and willingness to do “whatever it takes” to ensure customers’ needs are met.
- Define KPIs for the business and optimize the business along those key metrics.
- Own and manage all key metrics / responsibilities associated with the P&L of the brokerage - including gross revenue, gross margin, gross margin %, operating income %, and loads per head per day.
- Deliver a positive carrier and shipper experience that is unrivaled in the industry.
- Effectively manage client relationships at a higher level by providing an executive level mindset to strategic customer and carrier partners.
- Develop reliable and consistent carrier relationships and capacity for shippers to select from.
- Quickly develop and maintain relationships with enterprise-level shippers.
- Develop a culture that makes the company an employer of choice where employees love to work.
- Work with other key leadership on development of sales and marketing initiatives for all brokerage related sales – both customer and carrier.
- Break through internal and external obstacles that limit growth / service as it applies to covering freight for the network.
- Ensure clear communication of service expectations to all employees and clients.
- Additional job duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. • Minimum of 10-15+ years of relevant experience within the logistics industry.
- Minimum 10+ years of carrier sales experience.
- Proven success and experience building out a 3PL/freight brokerage company with a strong focus in operations, sales, and account management functions.
- Prior leadership/management experience. • Familiarity with RFQ / RFP processes.
- Prior P&L responsibility.
- Strong business sense with an excellent understanding of costs and benefits, prioritization, and tradeoffs
Pay, Benefits and More:
- Competitive compensation package
- Full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), Life insurance, tuition assistance, PTO and MORE!
- Growing company with a performance record that continues to climb!
- Opportunity to drive significant changes in Talent Acquisition with an ability to make an impact across the organization
- Open-door work environment
- High Performance culture with a focus on a growth mindset where continuous improvement is embraced
- Opportunities for advancement!
CJ Logistics America About Statement:
CJ Logistics America delivers integrated and multimodal logistics services, connecting every corner of the world via air, sea and land. As a lead logistics partner (LLP), third-party logistics provider (3PL) and supply chain consultant, we help customers leverage supply chain management as a competitive advantage, reducing total system costs, transforming business processes, improving service and facilitating growth and change. With a focus on social responsibility and sustainability through growth with customers and communities, we prioritize the wellbeing of the end consumer, our customers and our employees. CJ Logistics America is responsible for the North America region, specializing in solutions for regulated industries such as food and beverage, consumer-packaged goods, healthcare and medical supplies, and tire and automotive.
CJ Logistics America is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, CJ Logistics America participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.