Grocery Department Manager
Since 1912, Citarella has been a part of New York. Our name is synonymous with freshness, quality, and value. In a city that offers overwhelming variety, we proudly offer the largest selection of fresh seafood & aged prime meats along with prepared foods and gourmet groceries. While growing, we have maintained our commitment to providing the best quality, value, and service.
The Grocery Department Manager provides overall leadership to the team, facilitates all aspects of daily operations including profitability, expense control, buying, merchandising, labor, regulatory compliance, and special projects as assigned. This role is responsible for creating a collaborative and positive work environment while leading, training, and developing all team members.
- 2 years previous leadership/supervisory experience, preferably in a food environment
- Prior merchandising experience
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational, team building, and leadership skills
- Must display an affinity for our products, core values, and company mission
- Superior customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and delegate tasks effectively, and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to train current and new employees in department standards and product knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Analytical ability and proficiency in math needed to manage inventory
- Able to meet physical demands of the position including standing and walking during scheduled hours, kneeling, stooping, using stairs, bending, pulling, pushing, lifting weights of approximately 5 -60 pounds
- Ability to read and write the English language, conduct business related mathematics and analyze data as required.
- Flexibility to work store schedule including nights, weekends, early mornings, and holidays as needed
- Set and achieve the highest standards of retail execution
- Assign duties and supervise team members
- Build a positive work environment of outstanding teamwork, mutual respect, and exceptional morale
- Train, develop, mentor, motivate, counsel team members in a manner that builds and sustains a high-performance team and minimizes turnover
- Train team members in proper product handling and storage, stocking, ordering, equipment operation, building displays, and product rotation
- Maintain safe and sanitary work conditions throughout department in compliance with applicable Health and Safety codes
- Model and deliver outstanding customer service
- Follow through on all customer questions, requests, and resolve concerns as needed
- Maximize productivity and efficiency through proper scheduling
- Develop and maintain creative product merchandising
- Control ordering and maintain inventory, Keep all cases, shelves, and back stock areas clean, well-stocked and properly rotated
- Ensure freshness of products by closely adhering to rotation and dating policy
- Handle and communicate customer/associate complaints quickly and efficiently in order to achieve customer/associate satisfaction
- Other reasonably assigned projects/ duties/ tasks as per business need
In return, we offer!
Competitive Wages, Medical/Dental /Vision, life insurance benefits, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Discounts, Paid Time Off, 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Company Match!
Citarella is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)