Structural Design Engineer (Entry Level)
Chief Buildings is seeking an Entry Level Structural Design Engineer to join the Chief team. This position will perform structural analysis and design for materials provided by Chief Buildings in accordance with the appropriate design criteria (building code and loads), steel specifications, customer's agreement to purchase, and Chief's design practices.
- Perform structural design of primary and secondary structural framing and connections on building orders
- Become and remain current in knowledge and proficient in use of AISC and AISI material specifications, current and recent editions of ASCE 7 and IBC, and the MBMA Building Systems Manual; demonstrate ability to become proficient in various city, county, state and international building codes
- Develop computer literacy in design software and other computer tools available
- Develop efficient, timely, legible, and easy to comprehend documentation of engineering designs and builder/customer interface information
- Work with drafting on shop fabrication and field erection details of engineering designs
- Keep good established communication with all engineering and drafting department personnel during correlation of design/detail aspects as a building order proceeds through the engineering and drafting department
- Review drawings prepared by drafting to confirm that engineer's design intent was properly understood and incorporated into drawings.
- Develop a high productivity rate with low errors and ensures that all jobs are completed on or before the scheduled due date.
- Prepare submittal of design calculations when required
- Prepare efficient design quote weights for building order quotations sales
- Exercise sound judgment on designs/details affecting economics of field erection versus plant fabrication
- Make recommendations to engineering management as to more efficient design and materials utilization for improving product sale ability and ease of manufacturing and field erection
- Work toward a Professional Engineering Licensure
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, other related degree
- Degree from ABET accreditation and sufficient for future professional engineer licensure
- No professional engineer licensure required but Fundamentals Exam (FE/EIT exam) passed or passed within six months of starting employment
Putting the needs of customers first has taken Chief Industries, Inc. from a small construction company in 1954, to a highly diverse company with a reputation for manufacturing quality products and offering unparalleled customer service. Through its many divisions and subsidiaries, Chief Industries employs over 1,400 skilled and dedicated employees who produce a wide variety of products, many of which are used around the world.
A division of Chief Industries, Chief Buildings has designed and manufactured a wide variety of construction solutions for customers located throughout the United State since 1966. Specific applications include manufacturing, commercial, community and agricultural buildings. Each structure is designed to meet the needs of the customer. Chief Buildings are sold by authorized builders throughout the United States, and are manufactured in Grand Island, Nebraska and Rensselaer, Indiana.
This full-time position is eligible for full company benefits, including
- Paid vacation and PTO policies
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental, vision, and life Insurance
- Wellness program
- 401(k) retirement with company match
- Disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- And much more.