Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Senior Software Engineer
Engineering Team | Santa Clara, CA
The Commerce team is the backbone of Chegg – supporting every business line and functional organization at the company.
We are seeking a passionate, results-oriented, engineer to solve our next generation challenges and define our technical strategy. We have a team culture that encourages innovation and expects developers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture, and project delivery.
- Design and develop innovative solutions using JAVA, Rest APIs/GraphQl and modern database technologies
- Have a strong eye for the operational aspects of the platform such as deployment, performance tuning and monitoring
- Lead and participate in critical technical, and product discussions with leaders across our engineering, product and business teams.
- Ownership on the entirety of your features; including API design, implementation, automated testing, and roll out.
- Be a voice in ensuring the team stays true to the technical vision.
- Lead medium- to large-scale projects and manage cross-application dependencies in design
- Work as an escalation point to troubleshoot any production issues
- You have a passion for platform services and APIs as a product.
- Experience designing, building and operating large-scale distributed systems and web services.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- Strong proficiency in backend infrastructure as Java
- Experience in designing cloud applications using distributed cache and experience of using Redis or similar products.
- Professional experience operating at least one distributed data storage system, at scale such as MySQL, DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud services
- Proven Experience with Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) practices with Jenkins/TeamCity or similar
- 5+ years of profession experience.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Studentshows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher education learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to students.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
For More Information: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer