Senior Platform Engineer
Senior Platform Engineer
As Chegg Skills engineers, our software empowers students to move from “learning” to “earning”. We build the apps and systems that help students make life-changing career changes into high-growth job opportunities. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide accessible education to motivated career switchers. Together we build the tech that helps them reach mastery and success.
In this role, you will play a leading role in a fully remote team of diverse, motivated engineers that is changing what education looks like. We serve an audience of thousands of students and educators every year. Your contributions will shape the way these students learn, helping them succeed in life.
Chegg Skills is a new and growing division of Chegg focusing on post-collegiate demographics. We are growing the engineering team to help support our continued business expansion as more students take the next step in their careers with Chegg. Join us and help scale engineering to power our next phase of growth!
We expect that most qualified candidates will have at least 6 years of professional software development experience building highly available, scalable web APIs in a microservices environment.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Work with an onboarding buddy to push commits in your first week.
- Use our documentation to learn the budding microservices architecture.
- Start familiarizing yourself with our Python codebases and begin contributing.
- Use code reviews and pairing with peers to raise code quality.
- Deploy changes confidently with solid test coverage through our robust CI/CD pipeline.
- Participate in sprint planning and retrospective meetings.
- Get to know your remote peers and stakeholders over video calls.
- Identify pain points in the team’s process and codebases with fresh eyes, and share ideas from past experiences.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Collaborate with developers, product managers, and stakeholders to identify engineering system opportunities and solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in using Python/Flask to quickly iterate toward product goals.
- Leverage the AWS tools and systems that will help us grow and scale effectively.
- Break large existing systems into microservices while thoughtfully weighing the costs and benefits of the architectural decisions.
- Employ industry best practices in your work, and share those practices with your peers.
- Work across the stack and multiple applications to create the data systems that power our students’ learning.
- Carefully design and evolve the data model to support both near- and long-term business use cases.
- Improve observability across the system through standardized logging, metrics, and dashboards.
- Maximize your impact in an environment that strives for high focus and infrequent engineering interruptions.
- Invest in a culture of accountability by holding yourself and your peers to high standards.
- Receive regular performance feedback from your manager and peers.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Influence the roadmap and product development of Chegg Skills systems.
- Expand your knowledge and influence by rotating across project pods and working in new codebases and product areas.
- Lead research and architecture initiatives to support Chegg Skills’ rapid growth.
- Standardize and document operating procedures.
- Invest in junior developers through mentoring relationships.
- Develop a career growth plan and goals with your manager.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
Chegg Corporate Career Page: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg India: http://www.cheggindia.com/
Chegg Israel: http://insider.geektime.co.il/organizations/chegg
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer