Deputy General Counsel, Product and Content
Deputy General Counsel, Product and Content
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Chegg is looking for a Deputy General Counsel, Product and Content, to join our strong and growing legal department. This position will report to the General Counsel and will oversee all strategic and legal support with respect to Chegg’s dynamic product and content teams, advertising, marketing, communications, IP, and other business initiatives both domestically and internationally.
The Deputy General Counsel will help Chegg achieve strategic goals, innovate, and expand product and content offerings while managing legal risk and preserving ethical integrity. The Deputy General Counsel will be involved in complex and challenging issues—some of which are issues of first impression—across all facets of the business in an effort to support Chegg’s aggressive growth strategy.
The ideal candidate should be prepared to work in a fast-paced environment and must be able to collaborate with the C-team, Board of Directors, and internal and external stakeholders. The ability to effectively manage a large in-house legal team is a must, as is the ability to scale the legal team to meet the needs of a rapidly growing enterprise. Additionally, exceptional judgment, business acumen, discretion, communication skills, the ability to empathize, and strong relationship-building skills are a must.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on a wide range of issues, including product and content, advertising, marketing, communications, IP, privacy, and other business initiatives.
- Be an integral part of Chegg’s product and content development, design, engineering and provide strategic thinking across existing platforms and potential new verticals for domestic and international issues.
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance on the design and modification of products and content, and regularly meet with internal teams to understand strategies, roadmaps and initiatives.
- Partner and embed the legal team across Chegg’s broad product and content portfolio.
- Negotiate and close key commercial transactions and own all commercial matters.
- Help strategize product and content-related litigation.
- Partner with the corporate development and strategy team on potential M&A transactions and integration.
- Recruit strategically and assist the legal team in scaling to align with the expanding needs of a rapidly growing domestic and international business.
- Develop, implement, and improve legal procedures and policies to create a more efficient legal function.
- Build strong and long-term relationships of trust and confidence with stakeholders throughout Chegg.
- Have oversight of Chegg’s intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and open source.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with a minimum of 4 years of experience in a top tier law firm, as well as 5+ years of leadership experience in building, running and/or developing high performing legal teams.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school and an active member in good standing of a U.S. state bar, and licensed to practice in California or eligible to register in California as in-house/single-client counsel.
- Experience advising executive leadership on product and content legal matters and in-house experience as a SaaS transactional or product counsel at a technology and consumer-oriented business strongly preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multi-task in a fast-paced environment, adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- Proven track record of effectively working cross-functionally and cross-culturally with partners at all levels.
- Excellent ability to collaborate with, motivate, and engage others.
- Prior experience managing expanding legal teams.
- Extraordinary analytical ability and advocacy skills, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California, and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, Chegg Writing, Chegg Internships, Thinkful Online Learning, and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
Chegg Corporate Career Page: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg India: http://www.cheggindia.com/
Chegg Israel: http://insider.geektime.co.il/organizations/chegg
Thinkful (a Chegg Online Learning Service): https://www.thinkful.com/about/#careers
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer