Senior Data Platform Engineer
Senior Data Engineer - Chegg Web Services
Job Location - New Delhi, India
The organization: Data Engineering
The Data Engineering team is central to Chegg – supporting every business line and functional organization at the company. It is a team composed of data engineers and architects. The team influences strategy and tactics for Chegg’s data ecosystem.
The role: Senior Data Engineer
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will execute the strategy and roadmap for data engineering at Chegg. You will define, evolve and mature Chegg’s existing data platform and processing framework that handles terabytes of data from our various properties. In doing so, you will be responsible to extract, model, transform and store terabytes of structured and unstructured data at Chegg. This data will be used by scientists and analysts to support data-driven business decisions to improve Chegg's products, services and the user experience. In essence, you will collaborate with a team of data engineers, analytics and data scientist teams and contribute towards building the next generation data ecosystem at Chegg and where feasible, get in new data engineering capabilities. This data will transform education – Chegg is your sandbox to make this happen.
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
- Technical Expert at Chegg for Data Engineering with a core focus on AWS technical architecture.
- Define, design and build data frameworks (ingestion, processing, distribution, access) for Chegg’s big data-based data platform. A large percentage of the role is to drive the design and implementation of Chegg’s next generation data platforms.
- Drive design and build for scalable events processing framework that handles billions of events and terabytes of data.
- Drive design and build for robust and scalable data engineering solutions for structured and unstructured data conducive to business insights, reporting, and analytics.
- Work closely with stakeholders (Reporting team, Analysts, and Business) and source system domain experts.
- Participate and drive support and maintenance of operational support activities across the platforms in scope.
- 6-8 years’ experience working as an engineer in a data-focused team building data platforms and capabilities using the AWS technology stack.
- Experience building/scaling data platforms for Spark, Presto, Kafka using either fully managed Platform as a service solutions or from scratch using Kubernetes operators.
- Experience with Kubernetes is highly preferred.
- Deep expertise in AWS technical stack: chiefly Lambda, S3, EC2, ECS, EMR, DynamoDB, Redshift amongst others.
- Experience in Terraform or similar infrastructure as code technologies.
- Extensive experience working with structured and unstructured data.
- Experience with design and implementation of end-to-end event pipelines.
- Expertise in utilizing scripting/programming skills to support IaC (Terraform & Ansible)
- Stakeholder management, communication and cadence management with DE and other engineering leadership.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
Chegg Corporate Career Page: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg India: http://www.cheggindia.com/
Chegg Israel: http://insider.geektime.co.il/organizations/chegg
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer