Senior Software Engineer - Frontend
Senior Software Engineer
Chegg’s learning services are used by over a million students each day to further their learning. We build software to help these students study effectively, compile research, reach experts for tutoring, compile research, and write excellent papers, among many others. To support students, we build great applications, and to support these applications, we need robust tools and assistance for our engineering teams.
The Developer Experience (DevX) team develops components used by engineers across Chegg. We build the templates, libraries, and tools to form the building blocks for our Platform and Product teams. By leading tech initiatives, driving new technology, and championing best practices, we enable our engineers to build faster and deliver more. All DevX artifacts are available as inner source, so that we build a healthy community of developers at Chegg who not only leverage our work, but also can contribute to make it better.
The ideal candidate will lead the development of Chegg's UI design system that is used across all of Chegg's web products. In addition to making core contributions to the frontend infrastructure, they will work with other teams in different time zones to review, mentor and promote adoption. The senior software engineer will work on multiple projects that will impact the entire engineering organization.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 8+ years software engineering experience, with 3+ years of such experience in an agile environment.
- Extensive Typescript, React/Redux, and Node.js experience with attention to detail, performance, security, and reusability
- Understanding of current trends in frontend development with design systems, styling, component libraries and tooling
- Solid experience with WCAG Accessibility 2.0 Standards, and passionate about building inclusive and accessible components
- Knowledge of performance optimization approaches and technologies for web applications
- Believer in test-driven-development and the importance of clear design documentation
- Experience working across teams and with remote teams
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills for interacting persuasively with product/design/business stakeholders.
- Active interest not only in application code but also great software architecture
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with SSR, Next.js, Optimizely
- Experience with GraphQL and/or Apollo
- Experience in AWS and cloud infrastructure (Docker, ECS, Containers, CloudFront etc.)
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Studentshows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Video Shorts - Life at Chegg: https://jobs.chegg.com/Video-Shorts-Chegg-Services
Certified Great Place to Work!: http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/chegg
For More Information: https://jobs.chegg.com/
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer