Lead Backend Services Engineer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
The Backend Services team at Certain Affinity aims to create state-of-the-art software to handle millions of players in a fun and seamless game experience. As a Lead Backend Services Engineer, you will be responsible for driving project vision, overseeing technical architecture, and managing a team of engineers that develops and maintains backend operations and backend code and comes up with creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Architect and oversee the construction of modern backend services to power online AAA games
- Lead a team of backend engineers at a variety of experience levels
- Work with people from different game projects and departments to understand their needs and build out the team's backlog based on these requirements
- Lead by example: 33% tech leadership / 33% people management / 33% hands-on programming
- Mentor other team members and level up the backend services team!
- 8+ years of experience in the fields of Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Programming experience in one or more major programming languages (e.g., Go, Python, C/C++, Java)
- Working experience with a CI/CD system (e.g., GitLab, Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI)
- Familiarity with container and orchestration technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with cloud computing systems (AWS, google cloud, etc.)
- Experience with online security (protocols, identity, authorization, vulnerabilities, etc.)
- Experience designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting distributed systems
- Experience leading engineering teams of at least 4 people
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Comfortable synthesizing technical and non-technical objectives
- A systematic and detail-oriented problem-solving approach
- Passionate about learning new technologies and solving hard problems
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- 3 or more shipped products
- Knowledge of game engine architecture
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.