Senior Network Engineer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a Senior Network Engineer at Certain Affinity, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining network code connecting game code to backend platform services. You will work with members of the Server Programming team and Client Programming team creating state-of-the-art software to handle millions of players in a fun and seamless game experience.
- Build client-side frameworks that interface with the backend
- Troubleshoot and optimize network infrastructure and client/server communication
- Identify tools and approaches that will reduce complexity
- Build infrastructure and eliminate work through automation
- Educate team members, partners, and stakeholders on operational dependencies and requirements
- 5+ years’ experience in the fields of Computer Science or Software Engineering
- 3+ years of experience creating C++ code for the gaming industry
- Expertise with network programming and optimization
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Experience designing, creating, analyzing, and troubleshooting distributed systems
- Experience building asynchronous client/server systems using UDP/TCP protocols
- Comfortable working with version control systems
- Experience with cloud computing systems (AWS, google cloud, etc.)
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
- A systematic and detail-oriented problem-solving approach
- Passionate about learning new technologies and solving hard problems
- Dedicated to producing high-quality code
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Working experience with a CI/CD system (e.g., GitLab, Travis CI, Circle CI, Jenkins)
- Understanding of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Unity, Unreal, or other game engine experience
- Experience with backend multiplayer gaming platforms such as PlayFab
- Contributor to open-source projects
- An active member of one or more technical communities
- Programming experience in one or more “weird” programming languages
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.