Lead Online Engineer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a Lead Online Engineer at Certain Affinity, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with design and architect scalable online systems that bring our games across the world. You should be a capable programmer who can make things happen, someone with the desire and talent to help build the foundation of our blockbuster games!
- Lead a small team of engineers at a variety of experience levels
- Turn ambiguous technical requirements into well-defined tasks that are delivered on time
- Work with designers to create compelling game systems such as progression, quests, inventory, skill trees, and customization
- Turn designs into data-driven systems backed by microservices
- Identify and plan for security issues or exploits
- Architect clean, maintainable, and well-documented systems
- Communicate how online systems impact other teams’ workflows and identify dependencies
- Inherit, improve upon, and find creative solutions in an existing tech stack
- Be responsible for your team’s network, memory, GPU, and CPU footprint
- Understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms
- 10+ years of professional programming experience in games with a sizable portion being online focused
- Proficient in C/C++ with experience in at least one of (Go, C#, Lua, Python)
- Experience working on and maintaining live service products
- Comfortable in a large established codebase
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Creative, motivated, focused, passionate, and results-oriented
- Able to task a team to drive towards a technical vision
- A desire to work and support a diverse and inclusive environment
- 3 or more shipped products
- Knowledge of game engine architecture
- Experience with client to microservice architecture and data pipelines
- Experience with protocols, APIs, and tools related to live online products (grpc, gitlab, tcp/udp, etc.)
- Development experience in Unreal 4
- Passion for multiplayer action games
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.