Lead Technical Animator
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and we have a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We are also excited to be the latest recipient of the Canadian Studio of the Year award. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
As a Lead Technical Animator at Certain Affinity, you'll get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world's biggest shooters and contribute to our proprietary technology. This role requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our studio art team's pipeline management and tool creation.
- Collaborate with tech animators in the team, and be a source of inspiration and knowledge that other junior members in the team can rely on
- Drive the pipeline and tools discussion for the Tech Animation team, in close collaboration with the tech art team
- Very proficient at Python scripting and experience collaborating on tool development, iteration, and UI development
- Seek ways to improve and streamline art pipelines, drive quality, and improve team efficiency
- Work closely with other senior members in various disciplines, such as Animation, Character Art, Concept, and TechArt
- Very comfortable setting up rigs and overseeing the skinning process for a multitude of assets such as Characters, Creatures, Weapons, Props, etc
- Expertise in setting up runtime solutions on characters and assets in the Unreal engine, such as Pose Based Deformation, Cloth, Dynamics, Control Rig, Blueprints etc.
- Ability to spot character issues at a concept stage and also plan ahead and write rigging modules in Python, based on the characters coming down the pipeline
- R&D of new technology the game might require in Maya and Unreal
- Pushes the boundaries of aesthetic quality while respecting and enforcing project performance constraints
- Displays a high level of mentorship abilities and is willing to support and train the junior members in the team
- 5+ years experience in rigging and skinning characters, creatures, vehicles, and props
- Expert-level proficiency with Autodesk Maya
- A strong foundation of Python scripting for extending content creation tools and automating tasks
- Strong mentorship abilities
- Possess an approachable, customer-oriented demeanor
- Strong communication skills and desire to collaborate with art, design, and engineering
- Experience in ramping up an animation team in a variety of engines and toolsets
- Experience with motion capture systems within Motionbuilder
- Animation key-framing
- Knowledge of C++ or C#
- Experience writing Maya plug-ins
- Strong knowledge of facial rigging and deformation
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.