Metagame Systems Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games of our own. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Metagame Systems Designer to design and implement gaming systems for both single and multiplayer games. You will help design, implement, and maintain core game systems related to economy, progression, and other metagame features. This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry. You can help us reach new heights, increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for years to come.
- Work closely with your Design Lead, Lead Designer, and Game Director to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player progression, player customization, game economy and reward systems, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to iterate, balance, and adjust game elements and data related to metagame systems, including economies, player progression, player and NPC abilities, collectibles, etc., to create a fun and balanced experience for all types of players.
- Work closely with design and tech to improve the metagame tools pipeline for economy and rewards systems, player progression, character customization, etc.
- Lead data analytics and generate Tableau or Redash dashboards for analytics, telemetry, etc.
- Continually analyze the metagame loops and ensure support of player archetypes, looking for holes or weak spots in engagement and retention and propose solutions
- Simulation and data modeling for different metagame designs
- Facilitate forward-looking Quest and event content post-launch achievements
- Work with the UX Lead to create Metagame specific surveys as part of investment evaluation
- Work with QA to create test cases to evaluate our metagame engagement
- Create design and other technical documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and vision of the system and related features for the client, from internal developers across all disciplines to marketing and external developers
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the game experience
- 2+ years of game design experience, including systems design experience and at least two full development cycles as a systems designer
- At least one shipped title
- Experience designing or developing and maintaining metagame systems or game economies
- Proven ability to create innovative systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs
- Proficient in various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, UE4 Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience documenting technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt quickly to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- A desire to work and support a diverse and inclusive environment
- Experience in F2P and live service games
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple consoles, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with the written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done for the purposes of offering employment or determining eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.