Vice President of Purchasing
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities, and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off, and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing, and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that's you—if you're a self-starter, changemaker, and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
Position Summary: This role will work closely with the Division President to expand our Central Valley Purchasing department. The person in this role will have a passion for homebuilding, purchasing & operations and will be an integral part of our leadership team. As the Vice President of Purchasing with Century Communities, you will be responsible for identifying new contacts and vendor relationships in the Central Valley area to help us grow our purchasing operation, while overseeing a team of purchasing professionals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- A complete audit of sales budget scrubs in NewStar.
- Manage costing of custom changes
- Conflict resolution with Construction / Operations
- Liaison for purchasing with all other departments
- Research and approval of VPO’s
- Vendor conflict negotiations
- Create, audit, reconcile and maintain project-specific budgets
- Evaluation and resolution of Daily Status Update Report
- Vendor contract scrub and approvals
- Build new project cost feasibilities
- Drive new community project specifications and startup information
- Create and maintain material specifications template
- Oversee plans and plan review
- Work with engineers, architects, and consultants
- Build new community purchasing template in NewStar
- New community forecasting, budgeting and actual approvals
- Review bid spreads and works with agents on contract awarding
- Secure and execute supply chain agreements
- Assigns and audits sales pricing and margin protection
- Set the company’s supply chain strategy
- Manage supply chain
- Create and coordinate process and system improvements
- Manage cost reduction programs
- Ownership of purchasing departments performance
- Develops and assigns vendor assignments to purchasing agents
- Manage departmental workload, priorities, and deadlines
- Identify and implement purchasing training & skill improvement of the purchasing team
- Assist as necessary with the initial set-up of HOA’s for new communities.
- Attend all public hearings related to the entitlement process.
- Attend all neighborhood meetings to assist and present development plans.
- Manage the surety process for all projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Background:
- Knowledge of purchasing concepts.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports.
- Strong management background supervising activities of direct reports.
- Effectively respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Effective interpersonal skills to maintain effective working relationships with customers, contracted agencies and workers, other employees, supervisory personnel.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field required.
- Minimum of 9 years’ experience in a purchasing capacity with a residential construction builder required.
- OSHA 10/30 Construction qualification preferred