Land Acquisition Analyst
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that’s you—if you’re a self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
The Land Acquisition Analyst supports the Land Acquisition team with all aspects of land acquisition from the identification of potential land prospects to closing land transactions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Land Acquisition team in the preparation of financial proformas to determine the viability of proposed land acquisitions.
- Work with the development team or outside developers to determine budgets and schedules to be used in proformas.
- Coordinate with multiple departments to understand home construction costs and buyer preferences to be used in proformas.
- Review and analyze due diligence information for potential investments
- Extract & analyze data from a variety of sources including the MLS, company databases, Metrostudy, LandVision, Zonda, and other external websites.
- Prepare pre-acquisition investment briefs and related support material.
- Post-acquisition – maintain financial proformas and competitor analyses to assess ways to enhance performance of existing communities and to report actual performance.
- Overall project document control, including correspondence, purchase orders, invoices and supporting documentation
- Managing of Land Development Trade Partner contracts
- Updating and managing of Land Development budgets for monthly and quarterly updates
- Working with Land Development, the management of change orders and management of pay applications/invoices
- Works with vendors and subcontractors to obtain appropriate insurance requirements prior to releasing payment
- Creation and processing of check requests for entitlements and land development activities
- Distribution and Tracking of applicable budget reports from NewStar (Accounting System)
- Coordination and tracking of bonding process from request to exoneration
- Perform other duties as assigned.
LAND PROFORMA SUBMISSIONS
- With the guidance of Land Acquisition leadership, prepare detailed Land proformas with relevant support data for submittal to Corporate Land Committee to seek approval of new real estate transactions.
- Prepare follow-up analysis and forms necessary to transact wires for said acquisitions.
LAND SEARCH FUNCTION
- With the market priorities defined by Land Acquisition leadership, actively research, analyze, and identify potential land acquisition targets by extensively utilizing mapping and market data software.
- Maintain a database that identifies each target and tracks the status of each.
- Perform preliminary feasibility/financial analysis on each identified target and present weekly updates and recommendations to Land Acquisition leadership
MARKET TRANSACTIONAL/ENTITLEMENT MONITORING
- Responsible for weekly monitoring of land transactional and entitlement activity in Division’s core markets. To include weekly summary and update of notable residential land transactions and notable entitlement activities occurring in the Division’s core markets.
AD HOC PROJECTS
- Assist Land Acquisition leadership with ad hoc projects as needed.
- Assist the Land Acquisition team in preparing the Market Strategy report annually.
Knowledge, Skills and Background:
- Highly organized with the ability to manage and prioritize workload.
- Must be proficient in MS Office, especially Word and Excel, with exposure to GIS, Metrostudy, LandVision, and Zonda helpful.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills are a must.
- Proven ability to multi-task required.
- Strong desire to work in land acquisition.
- A background in real estate or market research is desired and professional knowledge of the home-building and land brokerage industry is highly preferred.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, and report data.
- Must be dependable, self-motivated, and proactive.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree Finance, Business Real Estate or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 4 years of experience in a related field.