Land Acquisition Manager
Position Title: Land Acquisition Manager Department: Land, Colorado
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that’s you—if you’re a self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
Position Summary: The Land Acquisition Manager assists with identifying and managing new land acquisition opportunities that align with the land strategy and business plan goals of the division. The Land Acquisition Manager also conducts research, provides analysis, and manages land data for the purposes of maximizing the profit of existing and proposed land assets.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Directly contact landowners in specific target areas (in person, by phone, letters of interest, and other means).
- Use online appraisal district maps and municipal maps to gather information on specific sites or areas. Information will include utilities, zoning, topography, entitlement status, and other development-related information to assess each site.
- Utilize Google Earth and other mapping tools to create exhibits and track land opportunities.
- Maintain a tracking log of viable tracts and comparable transactions.
- Follow municipal agendas weekly to understand what active projects an acquisition opportunity for maybe partially entitled, fully entitled, or finished lots.
- Contact brokers on their listings and gather pertinent information.
- Establish relationships based on integrity throughout the real estate community – landowners, brokers, municipal employees, engineers, developers, attorneys, land planners, and personal relationships which may lead to an opportunity. Attend networking events to generate new contacts and source deals.
- Follow up on leads through relationships and news gathered from a variety of media sources.
- Manage deals through the land acquisition process from identification through closing.
- Prepare Letters of Intent for land acquisition opportunities.
- Work with legal counsel to negotiate land acquisition contracts.
- Prepare financial proformas inclusive of assumptions about timing, pricing, product lineup, sales pace, municipal fees, and other costs associated with land acquisition and development to determine the viability of proposed land acquisitions.
- Perform residual analyses to determine appropriate offer prices for land acquisitions.
- Update and maintain proformas as assumptions change.
- Prepare Competitive Market Analysis to help understand how the proposed product line up and pricing compares to other communities in the market area.
- Create reports from market research resources such as Zonda, Metrostudy, and other data resources to support new land acquisitions.
- Assist with due diligence including zoning requirements, architectural requirements, utility availability, surveys, title work, rollback tax estimations, soil reports, financial analysis, environmental reports, work proposals, preliminary engineering, and land planning.
- Assist with entitlement of land acquisitions as needed.
- With the guidance of department and division leadership, prepare detailed land packages with relevant support data and exhibits for submittal to Asset Management Committee.
- Assist with the preparation of project update memos as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Background:
- Knowledge of financial principles.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial proformas and reports.
- Knowledge and experience with legal contracts.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret legal documents.
- Knowledge and experience working with Google Earth, GIS, and other mapping tools.
- Knowledge and experience with market research tools such as Zonda, Metrostudy, and other data resources.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both oral and written communication.
- Must be a motivated, self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage workload to meet and exceed expectations.
- Team player with the ability to collaborate effectively with other members of the team.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree in Business, finance, engineering, or related field. Master’s Degree a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in land acquisition in homebuilding/residential sector (single family or multi-family).
- Experience in land acquisition, planning and development.
- Knowledge and existing relationships of/in the Colorado land market.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis. (Employer will not sponsor visas.)
Compensation: Century intends to offer the selected candidate within the salary range of $80,000.00 - $115,000.00, plus an annual bonus and monthly auto/cell phone allowance. Actual offers will be based on a variety of factors including experience.