Director of National Purchasing
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that’s you—if you’re a self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
This position will focus on supply chain management, supplier & material recommendations, new market procurement and budget creation, rebate management, and current budget creation, clean up and support. This position will also be a resource when division purchasing needs help due to a temporary loss in resources. This position will drive overall efficiencies & consistencies in the areas of Purchasing & Estimating across all Century Complete Regions and Divisions. The person in the role will work closely with each Region and Division to understand each unique market and work to identify and secure regional and divisional supplier and trade partner opportunities. The position will assist each division in identifying local rebates and discounts to ensure the lowest costs and highest quality are being obtained. The position will also train & support Century Complete Regions and Divisions through the consistent messaging of our corporate culture, business initiatives & expectations to help ensure that the procurement of materials and services is consistent with company best practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supply Chain Management – Have a full understanding of homebuilding and supply chains, from manufacture to subcontractor to job site. Assist divisions in securing material and making the logistics process as simple and efficient as possible.
- Purchase all labor and materials for new Divisions and assist existing Divisions in negotiating the purchase of all labor and materials.
- Pricing – Ensure that Regions and Divisions are buying at the most competitive pricing available and that backlog is price-protected.
- Bid Process – Ensure Divisions are maintaining competitive bid processes to ensure the most competitive pricing.
- Estimating – Manage the creation of regional bills of materials and support of estimating practices in a region to ensure consistent designs, take-off methodology, procedures and processes.
- Architecture – Support Regional/National architecture to ensure consistent designs, drawings, procedures, processes, and value engineering.
- Value Engineering – Ensure Regions and Divisions are investigating and implementing cost savings initiatives, products and processes.
- Vendor Management – Assist Regions and Divisions in attracting and maintaining quantity vendors and subcontractors.
- Work with the National lumber team to help tract, report and communicate on commodity lumber and other framing materials to lower market costs and ensure supply.
- Budgets – Assist new and existing Divisions in developing accurate cost budgets in NSE.
- Assist in the creation of National supplier and manufacturer programs and contracts, including program and rebate support, tracking and collecting.
- Work with Divisions to create local vendor programs and identify potential rebates.
- Work with each Division to ensure that current rebate programs are followed and that contractors are installing the correct products.
- Educate each Division on purchasing initiatives and rebates to ensure the Regions and Divisions are participating in all applicable National, Regional and Divisional opportunities. Ensure the Regions and Divisions are tracking and recording all available rebates.
- Provide National Construction Services support for Division purchasing, estimating and architecture.
- Create and launch consistent Vendor and Subcontractor recruiting programs across divisions.
- Support compliance with government and safety practices, including OSHA and EPA compliance.
- Perform Purchasing Audits and share best practices.
- Manage and train national support of Purchasing to ensure consistent negotiating procedures, methodology, procedures, processes, and products between the national, regional and division teams.
- Contracts and Legal Documentation – Ensure all subcontractor’s performing work for Century Complete are contracted using approved contractual documents and that all subcontractors maintain minimal insurance requirements.
- Customer Satisfaction – Ensure all purchasing activities positively reflect Century Complete’s customer satisfaction standards.
- Help train, motivate and guild all Century Complete purchasing and estimating teams.
- Assist with managing contract documents including the preparation of plans and documentation for the bid process throughout existing and new Regions and Divisions.
- Understand, interact and support other functional areas within Century Complete.
- Assist with management, growth and development of National, Region and Division resources.
- Willing to perform other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Background:
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills: Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong understanding of purchasing within the homebuilding industry: Strong organization & follow up skills
- Previous experience working with vendors, subcontractors and contracts within the homebuilding industry
- Previous experience working with Newstar a plus (but not required)
- Position may require up to 30% coast-to-coast travel to each Century Complete Division.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelors’ degree in Supply Chain or Construction Management a plus (but not required).
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in the home building industry, with knowledge of purchasing and/or other construction-related activities involved with the construction of a home.
- Minimum of two (2) years of hands-on experience within the purchasing field.
- Read and understand working construction drawings.
- OSHA 30 or 10/30 Construction qualification preferred.
Compensation: Century intends to offer the selected candidate a base salary within the range of $120,000 – $140,000, plus annual bonus. Offer will be based on a variety of factors including relevant experience & education.