Position Title: Senior Staff Accountant Department: Accounting
Since our founding in 2002, we’ve become one of the top 10 public homebuilders in the U.S. In 2018, we were ranked 61st among the Fortune 100 Fastest-Growing Companies, and we’ve been the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row. Over the years, our organization has grown to include two homebuilding brands—operating as Century Communities and Century Complete—along with mortgage and insurance services through Inspire Home Loans and Parkway Title.
At Century Communities, our family of companies is driven by one simple objective: A Home For Every Dream™. As part of that mission, we’re dedicated to providing you with every opportunity for growth and success as you build a thriving career. That’s because we know that building, financing and insuring beautiful new homes for our buyers is only possible with the best talent in the industry.
Our excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, vacation and sick leave. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
If you’re a passionate self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level, we’d love to hear from you!
The Senior Staff Accountant coordinates accounting activities and assists the Assistant Controller in carrying out the responsibilities of the GL accounting department. Prepares, analyzes, and interprets accounting records and financial reports related to shared services accounting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Support the assistant controller with a wide variety of functions including transactional processing, analysis, cost allocation, audit support and the implementation of financial and compliance controls
- Maintain accounting policies, procedures and controls in accordance with sound accounting principles, policies, and best practice.
- Actively participate in the monthly financial close process and ensure work is completed in accordance with closing schedule.
- Review and post journal entries from staff accountants and ensures accuracy of the General Ledger.
- Record customer deposits and refunds as necessary.
- Prepare reconcilements, flux analysis, financial entries and reports on a monthly basis and review those prepared by junior members to ensure all are within accounting standards of accuracy and completeness.
- Effectively communicate with peers, customers, leadership, and division personnel to facilitate informed decision making.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities (e.g. professional tone of communication and work ethic) of a senior accountant to promote collaboration amongst colleagues and outside personnel as well as learning opportunities for junior staff members
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Background:
- Ability to think critically, manage and prioritize workload
- Ability to meet deadlines with a sense of urgency and efficiency
- Knowledge of GAAP and Accounting Principles
- Strong Excel and accounting system experience
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions
- Highly detailed and organized
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with different levels of employees
- Train junior team members
- Plan, assign and direct work of junior team members
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA is a plus
- 4 to 6 years of accounting experience
- Residential homebuilding / construction accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge of NewStar is a plus
- Strong excel /MS Office skills