Regional Corporate Vice President of Land
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that’s you—if you’re a self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
The Regional Corporate Vice President of Land will oversee the entire Land Department for the Region and its personnel. This will include Acquisitions, Entitlements, Land Development, New Community Planning and the coordination of all departments in order to produce new projects on time and within budget.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Network and manage relationships with brokers, developers, engineers, planners, municipalities, and land owners for new acquisition opportunities
- Perform preliminary due diligence and underwriting to determine viability of each deal
- Manage the Land Acquisition Analyst(s) and Project Manager(s) to perform all necessary Land Acquisition Functions including, but not limited to, Proforma Analysis, Market Research, Comparable Sales studies, Site Planning, general due diligence and submission of Asset Management Committee packages for approval
- Manage the Land Pipeline for current and future deals
- Monthly/quarterly land reporting to corporate office including lot counts, new projects under LOI/Contract, etc.
- Negotiate purchase price and terms of all land contracts
- Review all LOI’s and contracts
- Work with legal to address any and all legal issues that arise during the contract and feasibility process
- Manage all entitlements personnel and entitlement projects throughout the process
- Manage the land entitlement/forward planning of all company projects and land in the Company portfolio
- Coordinate the hiring and daily management of consultants for the due diligence/land development and entitlement processes of projects and CD approval process
- Coordinate all consultant interaction and work directly with various approval agencies including City and County Planning/Engineering/Zoning/Xcel/HOA Departments related to all entitlement processes and other issues that arise
- Ensure timely payment of consultant fees and accurate project budgets
- Coordinate preparation of pro forma entitlement budgets, land acquisition checklists, and project schedules
- Ensure all projects stay within budget and on schedule
- Manage the preparation of all land development budgets for all projects
- Manage the negotiation of contractor agreements, pricing, terms, etc.
New Community Planning
- Oversee and manage New Community openings to completion
- Coordinate with necessary departments to determine product, pricing, spec levels, design, site planning, etc.
- Manage community open deadlines for all new communities
- Coordinate with Construction and Permitting to ensure building permits for models and first specs are received on time
Knowledge, Skills and Background:
- Ability to design and supervise land planning and/or construction projects such as roads, water and sewer utilities, and storm water drainage
- Ability to perform real estate market research and complex financial analysis including the development of project pro forma’s
- Knowledge of real estate entitlement requirements and the process
- Public administration knowledge to facilitate the acquisition of information concerning real estate values, planning proposals and government initiatives
- Design and supervise land planning and/or construction projects such as roads, water and sewer utilities, and storm water drainage
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills including the ability to interact successfully with local officials, community leaders, staff, and the public, to organize and facilitate meetings and events, and to conduct negotiations, find common ground and develop consensus among disparate interests
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make public presentations to large and small groups, and research and draft media and public education materials
- Supervise the preparation of acquisition feasibility packages, including product recommendations, site-budget analysis and risk mitigation measures
Education and Experience:
- BS in Land Use Planning, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Business Administration, or Real Estate, Land Development, Business Administration and/or Land Planning concentration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7+ years in acquisition, development and entitlement of mass planned communities, land planning/management, land development, or related activities