Driver Class B
Looking for a satisfying career? Help frail, low-income seniors to live well by joining the Center for Elders’ Independence (CEI) as a Driver.
Founded in 1992, the Center for Elders’ Independence has earned the reputation as one of the best safety nets and community resources for seniors and healthcare in the East Bay.
Here’s what employees say about working at CEI:
“I love the work and the people. It’s a joy and an honor to work with the elderly and offer them quality care.”
“I like my job. I like to work with elderly people when they can live independently and make their own decisions. It’s very different from a nursing home.”
“CEI is my family, even more than my real family. I like training. It’s good how they make sure you know what you need to know and have what you need to do your job.”
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely operates company vehicles to transport participants to and from their homes, CEI sites, off-site medical appointments, and/or activity outings.
- Provides physical assistance and monitoring to participants from the pickup or drop-off location to the vehicle and as they get on and off the van, lifting as necessary. May occasionally be instructed to go into participants’ homes.
- Reports any special situation in participants’ homes, or while on the road, to the Road Supervisor including changes in participants’ behavior or appearance that may indicate an alteration in medical condition.
- Provides other transportation as directed, including medication or supply delivery.
- Handles potentially infectious specimens with appropriate biohazard precautions, and practices Universal Precautions.
- Performs regular maintenance of the vehicle: Cleans daily; completes daily maintenance check list; ensures that vehicle operates effectively with good brakes, lights, and other equipment necessary for safe operation; checks gas, oil and tires on a daily basis.
- Reports all unusual incidents or accidents and completes appropriate reports.
- Accurately completes, and turns in, daily route sheets and other paperwork in a timely manner.
- Maintains courteous, respectful attitude towards participants and their families.
- Maintains cooperative, professional work relationship with other members of treatment team.
- Observes all traffic laws and is conscientious and respectful to pedestrians and other drivers.
- Participates in departmental and CEI meetings as directed.
- Participates in the CEI quality assurance/performance improvement program (QAPI) as assigned.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all company procedures, results and information about participants, clients or families.
- Follows all CEI Policies and Procedures, OSHA safety guidelines.
- Complies with all agency training requirements. Maintains professional affiliations and any required certifications.
- Maintains safe working environment by following CEI’s safety polices and procedures and participates in CEI’s safety committee if requested.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job. Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive in a warm and caring to all customer groups.
- Consistently cooperates and supports organization in problem solving issues. Ensures customer satisfaction by understanding and applying the Customer Service Policy, Procedure and Standards.
- Performs other duties as required or requested in a positive and helpful manner.
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- 2 years driving experience, with 1 year transporting elderly or disabled preferred.
- Clean DMV report. Valid CA class B driver’s license with passengers’ endorsement. Basic English proficiency. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Knowledge of how to use and maintain positions equipment (e.g. vehicle, lift, tie-downs).
- Knowledge of safety requirements and defensive driving techniques.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of Alameda and/or West Contra County areas.
- Must pass, and maintain certification under DOT Regulations.
BONUS PAID OUT IN TWO PAYMENTS FIRST PAYOUT OF $1,000 AFTER 3 MONTHS OF SERVICE, SECOND PAYOUT of $1,000 AFTER ONE YEAR OF SERVICE.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Physical Requirements — Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing, walking, pushing, bending, kneeling and reaching at arm’s length and overhead in clinic, rehab department and in community for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to transfer participants needing maximum assist of one. Requires the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds and push or pull objects exceeding 150 pounds, using appropriate body mechanics.
- Visual, Hearing and Communication Requirements — requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Must be able to communicate verbally with participants their treatment plan, team members and participants caregivers.
- Pressure Factor — requires working under stressful conditions. Working conditions may be noisy and crowded and fluctuating indoor temperatures. Moderate pressure to meet scheduled appointments while dealing with frail and confused participants. Subject to participants that may have the potential for verbal or physical aggression.
- Environmental Conditions — May be exposed to a risk of bodily injury through contact with moving instrumentation, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, bodily fluids, communicable diseases and any other conditions common in a clinic environment. Subject to unpleasant odors.
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.