Operations Manager - Casablanca, Morocco
Job ID 1234
Castle Metals is currently seeking an Operations Manager for our future facility in Casablanca, Morocco.
Castle Metals has over 130 years of experience as a leader in the metals service center industry. The successful candidate will also enjoy significant developmental opportunities in a global setting.
The position of Operations Manager of any Castle facility is a senior position of significant importance to the business. This is a highly visible and exciting role, responsible for delivering an efficient and profitable production environment in alignment with the company's objectives.
The ideal candidate will manage all aspects of the facility budget as well as manage the health and safety of employees in the work environment.
This individual is responsible for managing all operations and day-to-day traffic activities for the warehouse facility in an efficient and cost effective manner while providing excellent customer service. This individual will also serve as the leader and representative of the operations team, working across various functional areas to deliver results.
Additionally, applying knowledge of continuous improvement efforts to improve process efficiencies and enhance delivery performance is expected.
- Oversees the planning, organizing and management of all operational activities relating to receiving, storing, order, filing, processing, loading and shipping through the most efficient and cost effective processes
- Team leadership of the operations team on site
- Coaching and staff development – holding annual reviews
- Planning structured training for staff
- Maintaining attendance/holiday records and carrying out disciplinary activity when required.
- Working closely with fellow site manages as part of a cohesive local management team
- Reporting on KPI’s etc. to Corporate and European management
- Attending management meetings (Potential travel outside the country)
- To be the senior Manager in the Casablanca, Morocco facility, responsible for all H&S aspects of the site, operational capability and outputs
- Lead the local team in delivering excellence of service and product to the client based serviced from the site in a safe environment
- Manages processes to ensure compliance with legislation, site rules and standards by employees, contractors and visitors
- Leadership and management of all Operational staff and activities across the business unit, including, Goods Inwards, Customs clearance, Processing, Inventory management, Shipping, and Administration
- Ensure inventory accuracy. Lead cycle counting process
- Ensure KPI’s of efficiency and performance are met or exceeded. It includes Quality goals, OTD, machine utilization, etc.
- Ensuring operation is cost effective. Optimize resource utilization by implementation of an effective production organization
- Implement and drive continuous improvement activities through implementation of change management process and best practices. (Lean principles, 6 sigma etc.)
- Support and maintain QA standards (EN9100, 9120…) in conjunction with QA team
- To ensure the Company’s quality systems and procedures are adhered to at all times within the Operational Departments
- Responsible for the operational budget in liaison with other departments and finance
- Track actual versus budget and justify gaps
- Present reports (monthly, quarterly and annually) on performance
- Develop medium term plans to continuously improve cost performance
- Manage local capital projects and expenditure
- Coordinate maintenance of equipment and site facility
- Identify potential investments to increase productivity, reduce unit costs
- Building relationships with key client contacts in order to foster long lasting business relationships and ensuring continued high levels of customer satisfaction and retention.
- To ensure Customer complaints are processed in a timely and efficient manner and any procedural flaws brought to the attention of the relevant team to enable continuous improvement.
Health, Safety and Environmental responsibilities:
- Implement, support and improve on all safety procedures to comply with local legislation and corporate company policy
- Investigates accidents and reported near misses, completes reports and implements corrective actions
- Ensures effectiveness of accident/incident investigation system
- Develop and deliver environmental policy to ISO14001 standard
Key Competencies and measures:
- Strong Team leadership skills and communication skills required. Needs a strong mixture of team player and a self-starting solo performer
- Lean manufacturing background, able to set plans in motion to run a fully optimised production unit, meeting all efficiency targets, on time delivery requirements, and minimising scrap
- This can be a customer facing role, in order to be successful in this position it is expected the incumbent will have a level of credibility with the client and be able to deal with issues diplomatically
- Several years of experience in this type of role will be required in the aerospace and defence industry would be ideal
- Professional communication skills are therefore a must both on an internal and external basis
- Annual targets will be set based on corporate goals and the contracted volumes of business inherent in the business
- Fluent in Arabic, French and English as extensive communications in both languages will be required
- Degree qualified in a relevant subject and ideally with a further management qualification
Values and Principles:
- Lean and safe working environment
- Customer Focus
- Trust, Dependability, Reliability and Self Motivated.
- Meet or exceed the defined levels of customer service.
- A passionate attitude towards the values and products of the Company
- Strong time management, planning skills, and team leadership skills
- Five years of progressive industrial/manufacturing experience
Additional or Preferred Skills:
- Supervisor/management experience
- University/Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Management, Engineering, Business, or related field
- Knowledge of/experience with LEAN or Six Sigma
- Understanding of workflow design, process layouts and capital equipment optimization
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
- Solid presentation and negotiation skills with ability to present technical information and concepts in order to initiate change and drive initiatives
- Excellent team-building skills with demonstrated leadership abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to initiate and sustain productive business relationships
- Strong analytical abilities and organization skills
- Excellent project management skills, including the identification and scheduling of project deliverables, milestones, tasks, and deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with other functional areas in order to improve service levels, resolve service problems, and reduce costs/improve efficiencies
Founded in 1890, A. M. Castle & Co. is a global distributor of specialty metal, plastic products and supply chain services, principally serving the durable equipment, oil and gas, commercial aircraft, heavy equipment, industrial goods, construction equipment, retail, marine and automotive sectors of the global economy. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies as well as thousands of medium and smaller-sized firms spread across a variety of industries. Within its metals business, it specializes in the distribution of alloy and stainless steels; nickel alloys; aluminum and carbon. Together, Castle operates service centers located throughout North America, Europe and Asia.