Associate General Counsel - Commercial Transactions
Join our Winning Team as an Associate General Counsel, Commercial Transactions
The Associate General Counsel, Commercial Transactions is responsible for supporting a rapidly growing business by partnering with and advising business teams on a variety of commercial transactions and legal issues. The position represents an excellent opportunity to make substantial contributions to a dynamic and thriving business. The successful candidate will be a seasoned commercial agreement and licensing attorney and a creative problem solver, applying sound business and legal judgment to a wide variety of commercial transactions and relationships. The position reports to the General Counsel and is based in Centreville, Virginia.
The CARFAX Culture
People who work at CARFAX are happy. Team CARFAX knows their work has purpose and everyone contributes to our mission to help consumers throughout the lifecycle of buying, owning and selling used cars. Our culture offers a unique blend of a high achieving; high-energy workforce in a casual, laid back setting and our employee-focused culture is consistently honored as a “Best Place to Work”.
As an Associate General Counsel, you will:
- Draft and negotiate a variety of commercial transactions, including data licenses, technology and software licenses, trademark licenses, professional services and vendor agreements and marketing, business development and integration agreements
- Research legal issues and manages risk associated with commercial transactions and relationships
- Special projects on an as-needed basis
- Eight to twelve years’ experience in a law firm or in-house corporate legal department with significant responsibility and hands-on experience drafting and negotiating a wide array of contracts
- Must be an assertive and effective negotiator with the ability to persuade and inspire action with a focus on both short term and long term implications
- Must have experience creating templates and streamlining processes for routine commercial transactions to help speed the negotiation and conclusion of sales and partner relationships
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of intelligence, independent reasoning, excellent analytical skills and judgment and a strong business acumen
- Must be intellectually curious with a desire to understand every aspect of the business
- Must have experience juggling multiple clients with competing demands
- Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills with the ability to effectively interact with numerous business teams
- Meticulous attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Candidates must currently be licensed to practice law in Virginia or currently eligible to be admitted under a Virginia Corporate Counsel Certificate
CARFAX, a unit of IHS Markit (NYSE: INFO), helps millions of people every day confidently shop, buy, own and sell used cars with innovative solutions powered by CARFAX vehicle history information. The expert in vehicle history since 1984, CARFAX provides exclusive services like CARFAX Used Car Listings, myCARFAX, CARFAX History-Based Value and the flagship CARFAX Vehicle History Report. CARFAX is a nationally recognized top workplace by The Washington Post and Glassdoor.com. Based in London, IHS Markit is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions.
CARFAX is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of CARFAX to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, CARFAX will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are a participant in E-Verify.