Head - Equity and Poverty
Head - Equity and Poverty
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
About your role:
The Head, Equity and Poverty will help strengthen equity and poverty considerations and outcomes across WRI India’s programmatic work and research. The position will be housed in the CEO’s office, and will work across WRI India Programs, Centers and the Research team. They will ensure that poverty reduction, social and gender equity and justice are integrated into WRI’s program strategies, on-ground projects, research and policy engagement. They will also contribute to training and capacity development, grant proposal development alongside leading specific research projects.
We are looking for candidates with knowledge and experience of working and conducting research at the intersection of climate, environment and human development in India. The ideal candidate should be able to apply their knowledge and expertise across a wide range of practice, research and policy domains, from sustainable transport to India’s energy transition. In this position you will be working with teams on the ongoing projects.
How your day will unfold:
Thought leadership, Strategy and Research (50%)
- Help develop a compelling vision for WRI India’s goals and strategy on Poverty Reduction and Equity, and ensure it has a strong research foundation, and produces meaningful results that inform and impact policy and practice
- Promote close and effective collaboration with WRI India programs and centers to support the development and implementation of WRI’s work program on equity and poverty
- Liaise with WRI’s Centre for Equitable Development and WRI’s Managing for Results team to ensure institutional cohesion on issues relating to strategy, management and metrics on equity and poverty across the Institute
- Author or co-author knowledge products and work with the Research, Data and Innovation team to ensure WRI India’s research, data analysis and knowledge products substantively integrate and examine questions related to poverty and equity.
- Conduct and contribute to research on key cross-cutting issues in India. Write research publications, policy briefs and commentaries. Work with WRI’s Communications team to engage with media to communicate findings and recommendations from WRI’s work and influence public and private sector agendas.
- Cultivate relationships that expand audiences for, and uptake of knowledge products, and represent WRI India in national and global platforms on poverty, equity and sustainable development.
- Help build partnerships, national and international engagement to support inclusive governance, equity, poverty and sustainable development, and represent WRI India in national and global platforms on equity, poverty and development.
Capacity Development, Technical Support and Project Development (50%)
- Provide support to WRI India programs and project teams resulting in projects with defined targets for equity; attention to equity and poverty issues in technical reports that shape environmental and economic practices; and enhanced research on equity and poverty
- Work with programs to conduct social analyses and advise on project design, implementation and MEL to integrate equity considerations into specific projects
- Contribute to and, or review annual and program planning, publications and other research and communications materials to help develop outcome and strategies for poverty reduction, equity and inclusion in WRI India’s work and public engagement.
- Work with Research director to identify data and methods needed to produce robust research to address knowledge gaps and contribute to effective policy development.
- Work with Programs and Development to integrate equity and poverty goals and interventions into grant proposals, with robust indicators and metrics to evaluate and measure impact.
- Help identify new donors and funding opportunities to establish a funding base for WRI India’s equity and poverty reduction work
- Contribute to fund-raising proposal development and grant writing in partnership with the Development team, other WRI programs, centers and offices.
- Support capacity development and provide training and guidance to WRI staff on equity and poverty in India
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
- 12+ years relevant experience working on poverty reduction, sustainable and equitable development initiatives. Specific knowledge and experience working on these issues in one or more of WRI’s program areas is desirable.
- Strong research skills and experience. An advanced degree in relevant discipline (Economics, Political Economy, International Development, Sociology, Anthropology, Public Policy, Law and Development, Social Policy, Racial /Gender Studies or related social science) and a track record of relevant research and publication is desirable.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with an ability to communicate to specialized as well as broad audiences. Recognized expertise and track record of publication on equity and poverty reduction in the context of sustainable development, climate or environmental policy.
- Demonstrated ability to translate and communicate knowledge and research findings into policy and practice.
- Experience in grant writing and proposal development and knowledge of the funding landscape and priorities for poverty, social and gender equity work in reliable.
- An ability to apply knowledge, think and work across sectors and policy domains.
- Proven ability to work with a wide variety of partners and effectively manage external and institutional relationships
- Strong team player with ability to work across institutional departments/programs.
- Outstanding ability to communicate clearly, passionately, and compellingly to a wide range of audiences, especially high-level decision-makers from government, the private sector, and civil society
- Strong network of relationships and partners.
Salary and Benefits: 30,00,000 to 34,00,000 INR CTC Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package
Duration: Full time Term staff - 2 years (extendable)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.