Private Credit Associate
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan Capital is the investment arm of Vulcan, Inc. and is responsible for managing a multi-billion dollar portfolio of public and private investments with the goal of supporting Vulcan Inc.’s philanthropic impact. Based in Seattle, WA with additional offices in Palo Alto, CA and Singapore, Vulcan Capital was founded in 2003. The Public Securities team manages a global portfolio of public companies with a focus on long-term investing. The Private Investment team also manages a global portfolio, with a focus on private technology, internet, and life sciences companies.
For more information, please visit Vulcan Capital at https://capital.vulcan.com
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combatting climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
About the role:
The Private Credit Associate will work closely with senior professionals and will receive significant investment evaluation and execution responsibility.
As a member of our team you will:
- Support investment teams throughout identification and assessment of investment opportunities
- Build financial models and valuation analysis
- Conduct company and industry due diligence
- Write internal memoranda and reviewing legal documentation
- Work with legal, financial, and commercial advisors on process management, diligence, structuring, and negotiations
- Monitor and tracking existing investment positions
- Assist the other Private Credit team members with all other aspects of business development
- Collaborate across the firm
You will bring to the role:
Educational and work experience related to investment management, preferably at the institutional level. Additionally, the successful candidate should be able to conduct quantitative and analytical financial analysis taking a bottoms-up approach to fundamental investing. Most importantly, the individual should be intellectually curious and engender a strong sense of commitment and integrity.
Required knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability:
- Private credit or other similar investment experience, highly preferred
- Strong communication skills (writing, verbal, and presentations)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong modeling skills
- A high level of professional maturity and a solid work ethic
- An ability to fit into a small team
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong academic credentials; B.A. or B.S. (in relevant major) from accredited institution and two - five years of experience at a top-tier investment manager, investment bank, commercial bank or similar
Special remarks regarding work environment:
- Vulcan Capital is a dynamic work environment. Individual will be expected to be flexible and able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances
- Must be team-oriented and able to work in a close-knit environment
- Individual must share a passion and commitment to the values and mission of Vulcan Inc
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it
LOCATION, START DATE AND COMPENSATION
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Start date: 2Q/3Q 2021
- Compensation: market competitive
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.