Software Engineer/Scientific Programmer for Climate Modeling
Software Engineer / Scientific Programmer for Climate Modeling
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for a Software Engineer / Scientific Programmer for our Climate Modeling team with a passion to make a difference. Are you looking to help us tackle one of the world’s hardest problems?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and celebrating all voices, and we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. This includes a DEI Council that sponsors an ongoing learning series on timely topics related to equity and inclusion for all employees and our three Employee Resource Groups that also lead programming and community-building efforts for LGBTQ+, Womxn, and BIPOC employees. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs.
What you’ll help us do:
Vulcan Inc. has launched a strategic initiative in partnership with leading climate research institutions to build a novel global climate model running on leadership class high-performance computing systems. As a Software Engineer / Scientific Programmer you will build vastly improved models that run on the fastest supercomputers in order to improve projections of Earth’s future climate. This will help effective mitigation of and adaption to climate change. You’ll join our small and agile team in making significant contributions to the development and optimization of the climate model code we are developing.
This position is a term-limited position through October 2021 with the possibility of extension. We are open to remote or Seattle based candidates.
In detail you will:
- Participate in all phases of the software engineering process, including research, design, development, integration, testing and deployment.
- Work closely with the rest of the multidisciplinary software team and across disciplines.
- Implement a dynamical core of a climate model using a domain-specific language in Python and optimize the code to run on a supercomputer.
- Define and implement a suite of regression and validation tests in a CI/CD environment.
- Use agile methods for managing the software development process.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- MS or PhD in computational science, atmospheric science, applied mathematics, computer science or related field.
- 3+ years of software development experience in a modern programming language (e.g., Python, C++)
- Experience with high-performance and parallel computing
- Proven track record of delivering solutions for challenging problems.
- Positive attitude and the desire to grow and improve your skillset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience in developing domain-specific compilers or code-generators in Python
- Experience in developing a weather or climate model on a leadership class supercomputing facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
If you have any questions during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or your recruiter.