Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager, Healthcare
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. will be hiring an Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager to work in our Vulcan Capital department. For this position we seek an individual with experience in the Healthcare and/or Biotech sectors who is excited to contribute their expertise to an organization dedicated to making a difference and tackling some of the world’s hardest problems.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan Capital is the investment arm of Vulcan, Inc. and is responsible for managing a multi-billion dollar portfolio of public and private investments with the goal of supporting Vulcan Inc.’s philanthropic impact. Based in Seattle, WA with additional offices in Palo Alto, CA and Singapore, Vulcan Capital was founded in 2003. The Public Securities team manages a global portfolio of public companies with a focus on long-term investing. The Private Investment team also manages a global portfolio, with a focus on private technology, internet, and life sciences companies.
For more information, please visit Vulcan Capital at https://capital.vulcan.com
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combatting climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
About the role:
This position is based in our Seattle, WA headquarters and will support and report to the lead Healthcare PM on the team. The Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager will be an important part of the Vulcan Investment Management team contributing analytics relating broadly to the portfolio, with a primary focus on public equity investments in the Healthcare sector. The Analyst/PM will be responsible for in-depth financial, industry and economic market analysis for the portfolio in the healthcare sector. Based on their own industry sources, discussions with company executives, company visits, interaction with other Vulcan Analysts and, to some extent, input from “the Street”, the Analyst will be responsible for alpha generation and stock recommendations.
The Analyst/PM will identify, analyze, and make recommendations for the multi-billion-dollar Investment Management portfolio; specific responsibilities include sourcing and analyzing new investment ideas, building and maintaining financial models, creation of meaningful investment reports and making security recommendations.
The Analyst/PM will generate strong, insightful investment ideas based on independent research and will contribute ideas to the portfolio within the team’s disciplined investment process. They should be comfortable holding face-to-face interviews with executive management teams and thoroughly understand markets and competitive dynamics in their respective sector coverage. The successful candidate will be able to provide a differentiated view, identify change in covered companies and sub-sectors, and reach fact-based conclusions within a risk/reward framework. Candidates for the position should exhibit a passion for continual learning and the study of financial markets, and the ability to remain flexible and action oriented while demonstrating conviction under challenging market conditions. The individual must be a team player who is collaborative and accessible.
As a member of our team you will:
- Collect and synthesize investment data at a macro and micro level while developing appropriate. analytical processes to track and record regular changes.
- Recommend strategies that will maximize return within acceptable risk parameters related to the healthcare industry.
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials for Chief Investment Officer (CIO). This includes the gathering of essential market data, operations evaluation, management team assessment and reference checking, and performance analysis.
- Keep informed of developments in investment markets, using fundamental and/or technical research to arrive at sound and timely investment decisions.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
You will bring to the role:
Educational and work experience related to investment management, preferably at the institutional level. Additionally, the successful candidate should be able to conduct qualitative and quantitative financial analysis taking a bottoms-up approach to fundamental investing. Most importantly, the individual should be intellectually curious and engender a strong sense of commitment and integrity.
Required knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability:
- Strong interest and understanding of the Healthcare sector, with a strong preference for an expertise within Biotechnology and therapeutics investing.
- Strong analytical abilities with modeling and research skills.
- Relevant investment management experience.
- Knowledge of investment valuation methods.
- Experience with investment due diligence processes.
- Strong communication skills (writing, verbal, and presentations).
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong academic credentials, including a bachelor’s degree and an advanced degree in a healthcare related field is preferred.
- CFA designation or demonstrated commitment to the completion of the CFA program is preferred.
- Experience researching, collecting and analyzing information related to the healthcare and/or biotech sectors to help investment managers to make effective and profitable decisions on behalf of clients while building a profitable investment portfolio required.
Special remarks regarding work environment:
- Vulcan Capital is a dynamic work environment. Individual will be expected to be flexible and able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Must be team-oriented and able to work in a close-knit environment.
- Individual must share a passion and commitment to the values and mission of Vulcan Inc.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.