Are you a technologist with a passion for meaningful work to protect our planet, people and endangered species? You don’t have to decide between a technical career and a deeply moving, important calling. Seattle based Vulcan is looking to hire a Technology Officer.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combatting climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
The Technology Officer will provide technical analysis, advice and recommendations in support of the company’s technology interests for impact. Strong candidates are curious, with a thirst for problem-solving. They seek to understand pain points, identify possibilities and follow the potential. This position provides leadership and support in management of the Science and Technology portfolio in close collaboration with the program leads.
This position actively tracks emerging technologies, such as in devices, IoT, AI, and other software and hardware innovations that might help unlock new understanding for conservation and humanitarian impact. The Technology Officer will facilitate cross-program communication and ideation to understand problem areas within these domains and increase awareness of potentially applicable technology solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining currency in multiple topic areas and providing regular updates on progress at the forefront of these technologies
- Analyzing current trends and developing forecasts
- Building and maintaining a network of expert contacts in relevant topic areas
- Generating new ideas and proposed applications of science and technology solutions in conservation, ocean health and climate domains
- Advising our nonprofit and NGO partners accelerating their digital transformation to maximize impact
- Developing independent reviews of proposed technology solutions and projects
- Demonstrating honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
This role requires analytical excellence, initiative, creativity, technical depth, and the ability to communicate at levels of depth appropriate to the problem statement. Applicants must be articulate, clear thinkers, exceptionally data driven, and able to make and back up tough judgment calls. The ability to work independently and build strong external relationships is critical. Working knowledge and experience with many of the following subject matter areas is important:
- High performance computing
- Emerging hardware and device architectures
- Cloud computing
- Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Mobile computing and mobile applications
- Relevant trends in software development
Knowledge, experience, skill, and ability:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fluent in one or more computer languages: C, C++, Python, Java, and others.
- Fluent in computer science, including algorithms, architectures, and development methodologies.
- Experienced with academic research. Comfortable reading and analyzing academic literature in computer science, applied mathematics, and other technical fields.
- At least five years of experience in the computer industry (internship, TA or employment).
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills. Published peer reviewed content and advanced presentation skills required.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task across multiple analysis and prototyping projects simultaneously and often independently.
- Advanced degree from accredited institution and at least 5 years relevant experience advising on technology development and innovation and/or investments.
- Strong preference for candidates with experience working on technology solutions within or behalf of a nonprofit organization
Special remarks regarding work environment:
Travel estimated to be 15%
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or your recruiter.