Fund Accounting Manager
Fund Accounting Manager
This position is responsible for the accounting, operations and administration of private and public investment funds managed by Vulcan. Vulcan Capital invests across a number of asset classes, including public equities, derivatives, private credit, private equity, growth equity and venture capital. Assist the Director of Investment Management Finance on special projects and other initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide investment accounting support for a portfolio of private and public investment holdings.
- Manage the process and use of a fund accounting software platform for the creation of month end valuation workpapers and annual financial statements w/ supporting reports and calculations.
- Advise on and review the daily booking of investment transactions by accounting staff and/or a 3rd party fund administrator.
- Review investment funds’ month-end valuations prepared by accounting staff and/or a 3rd party fund administrator.
- Interface with Middle Office operations team in review of position reconciliations and reporting
- Maintain investment reference data and investment/portfolio performance data in a fund accounting software platform for investor and company reporting.
- Develop carried interest distribution waterfall calculations from legal operating agreements and implement their use in monthly valuation process.
- Review capital calls, distribution calculations, and investor capital account allocations.
- Analyze balance sheets, budget versus actual, and P&L activity and various other financial reports.
- Perform technical GAAP accounting research and be able to apply accounting principles to our business.
- Prepare audited financial statements and footnotes and be the point-of-contact with external auditors to ensure audit requests are provided timely
- Manage the annual preparation of year-end work papers and tax schedules for funds managed by Vulcan.
- Review and document complex accounting transactions and provide guidance to others on appropriate accounting treatment.
- Develop and maintain documentation of fund accounting policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the mentoring, guidance, development and training of the fund accounting staff, including developing goals, regular 1-on-1 meetings, mid-year and annual performance appraisals.
- Provide detailed financial and operational analysis for ad-hoc projects.
- Provide other accounting support as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Investment accounting experience, including partnership accounting
- Strong understanding of and experience with carried interest waterfall structures and complex investor allocations
- Experience preparing and/or reviewing audited financial statements
- Strong understanding of the private equity industry and accounting requirements
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Solid analytical and creative problem solving skills
- Performance measurement experience preferred
Required computer skills
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient with Bloomberg
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution
- 8+ years of relevant experience at a hedge fund, private equity fund, or fund administrator
- 4+ years of Big 4 or Tier 2 audit firm experience
- CPA (and CFA preferred)
Vulcan is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, age, gender, religion, disability, LGBTQ status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Vulcan requires all U.S.-based employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19, except for those with an approved medical or religious accommodation. All new employees are required to provide proof of vaccination status or proof of qualification for a medical or religious accommodation upon hire.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or your recruiter.