Senior Software Engineer
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Senior Software Engineer to help drive Vulcan’s Impact Technology Group.
… a strong team player with a passion to make a difference in the world? Do you want to take your skills and passions to the next level at an organization that is bringing experts together to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and celebrating all voices, and we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. This includes a DEI Council that sponsors an ongoing learning series on timely topics related to equity and inclusion for all employees and our three Employee Resource Groups that also lead programming and community-building efforts for LGBTQ+, Womxn, and BIPOC employees. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs.
From healthy-living perks to company-matched employee-giving events, and even our own lending library, Vulcan has a truly unique workplace culture. Our employees contribute to programs that help make and leave the world a better place, but also have access to experiences and benefits that make coming to work meaningful and fun.
The projects you will work on…
Vulcan is working in partnership with Vibrant Planet on a forest land conservation project to predict how fires spread and map forest canopies using LiDAR/Satellite data. You will be involved in setting up the backend data pipeline and build REST API access to the data catalogue.
You will also work with members of a multi-disciplinary team, including machine learning engineers, user researchers and marine biologists to complete the delivery of a tool supporting semi-automatic marine mammal photogrammetry for use by SR3. The tool uses existing aerial drone and lateral image sequences to automate scientific identification and measurements of aquatic marine mammals. An MVP of the tool, developed as an ImageJ Python and Java based plugin, was released in September 2020 which established the initial tool architecture and provided initial automation features for our marine biologist end users. We seek help completing and open sourcing this tool by integrating machine learning models for orca detection, landmark detection etc. Our initial use case is to run ML models locally, but also architect for future expansion to the cloud. You will also implement other user feature requests towards having important conservation impact. The datasets involved make this work both rewarding and technically challenging
About the position…
The ideal candidate will tackle challenges with an entrepreneurial spirit and have the capacity to deliver across a broad range of domains and technologies.
Our foundational engineering team is on a mission to make our engineers more productive and enable them to build better systems. As a member of our team you will participate in defining and driving the following from the ground up:
- Developer Productivity
- ML Infrastructure
- SAAS development
You will bring this experience and skill set…
- Strong software engineering fundamentals
- Strong programming skills in Python/Java/Go
- Experience as an infrastructure engineer building complex & distributed systems
- Experience with data infrastructure and big data technologies
- Experience building for and running production systems on public clouds (AWS, Google Cloud or Azure)
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with ImageJ/Image manipulation programs
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and learn new technologies at ease.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.
If you need accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or your recruiter.