Staff Accountant (Temporary Assignment)
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by philanthropists Jody Allen and the late Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. It includes Vulcan Real Estate, an award-winning developer renowned for sustainable commercial, residential, and retail projects across Puget Sound. Vulcan’s multidisciplinary team also provides a diverse range of asset and project management support to the Paul G. Allen Estate and Trust, and advises the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation on its portfolio of charitable work investing in wildlife conservation, ocean health, vibrant communities, and the arts.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combatting climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
The Temporary Staff Accountant will assist in various financial accounting processes and systems, including bank reconciliations, Treasury transaction processing, contract review, check coding, and expense reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the monthly close process under the direction of management.
- Compile and prepare journal entries.
- Perform other tasks and projects as needed under the direction of management, and respond appropriately to requests from other company personnel.
- Concurrently perform multiple assignments and self manage schedule to determine workflow timing and duration.
- Effectively communicate, both written and oral, with other company personnel.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Accounting software/systems experience.
- Detail oriented, organized, and methodical in approach to tasks.
- Ability to communicate with Vulcan personnel and external contacts in a professional manner.
- Ability to effectively respond to requests or questions from managers and colleagues in both written and oral form.
- An understanding of financial systems, processes and internal controls.
- Experience working in a multiple company accounting environment.
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Preferred computer skills
- MS Office (intermediate knowledge of Excel and Outlook), Windows.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or other Oracle accounting systems.
- Bachelors degree (B.A or B.S.) in accounting from an accredited institution and two years relevant accounting experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other protected class.