Editor, Original Graphic Novels
Working with the Original Publishing group at VIZ, the primary responsibility of the Editor, Original Graphic Novels is identifying new creators to develop original graphic novels appropriate for VIZ Media and seeing through the project development from start to finish. This position is unique and requires a range of knowledge in similar industries, so candidates with experience in equivalent roles in animation and gaming development are also welcomed.
- Works directly with creators to ensure that projects are executed to a high standard, on schedule and in compliance with publisher or licensor requirements.
- Responsible for the timely execution of all editorial duties involved in the graphic novel production process for both print and digital formats, including, but not limited to: editing manuscripts, proofreading page and cover proofs, checking bluelines, and reviewing digital editions to ensure quality and consistency
- Finds, assigns, negotiates with, and schedules freelance writers, illustrators, letterers, and rewriters for the production of graphic novels.
- Researches and proposes potential publishing
- Works with the Executive Editor and Editorial Director to address publisher or licensor requirements and concerns, and to secure approval for publication projects
- Works with the in-house Designers and freelance designers on the timely and high-quality creation of cover and miscellaneous text layout for graphic novels.
- Writes cover text, catalog copy, and other related marketing and sales materials
- Checks promotional copy in items such as sell sheets, samplers, and other marketing materials to make sure they are consistent with the facts and spirit of the title
- Works with designated Production staff to determine production specifications as needed, and with senior Publishing staff to conduct cost analysis and stay within the title budget
- Represents and advocates titles placed under Editor's responsibility
- Sets and carries out policies and business strategies as designated to each specific title.
- Provides supporting editorial and informational services for other departments, including, but not limited to Digital Publishing, Sales & Marketing, and Animation on an as needed/assigned basis
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of and interest in the manga and anime creative space a MUST
- Experience managing graphic novel illustrators and authors, both professional and amateur, STRONGLY PREFERRED
- Experience in story development and story related art direction in publishing, animation or gaming industries STRONGLY PREFERRED
- Knowledge of creative development stages and milestones in a graphic novel publishing environment
- Ability to successfully write and edit high-quality copy and maintain continuity in assigned projects
- Ability to make both business-oriented and creative judgments
- Strong knowledge of book publishing and comics a PLUS
- Strong administrative skills a PLUS
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to communicate and negotiate creative feedback effectively
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- MINIMUM 2-3 years of experience in delivering high quality editorial services related to book publication, particularly comics and/or graphic novel publishing or equivalent experience in adjacent animation and gaming industries. Additional years of experience A PLUS.
- Successful performance in the publishing industry PREFERRED
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university (English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related degree) or equivalent experience with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position does not supervise the work of others but may provide guidance to temps and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes. MUST be able to travel both domestically and internationally as needed.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
No travel is required for this position.
OTHER INFORMATIONEmployees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. This is a Regular Full-Time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., however, willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.