Director of Estimating & Pre-Construction
The Director of Estimating & Pre-Construction will lead multiple conceptual and pre-construction estimates for Rexford (REXR) industrial projects throughout Southern California.
The candidate will report to the EVP of the Design & Construction group (“DCM”). The candidate will work in an integrated and collaborative manner with other business units, namely, acquisitions, property management and leasing.
Industrial project types will primarily include:
- Ground-up / new construction
- Major repositioning of existing owned assets
- Small projects (<$500,000)
The candidate will support the Construction Managers throughout Southern California (primary project locations are split by region: Los Angeles, Inland Empire, Orange County, San Diego, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Ventura).
The candidate will demonstrate high levels of technical capability, sound industrial construction knowledge and a good understanding of the key drivers of cost and value.
- Due Diligence walks with the acquisitions team, construction team (and potentially third party vendors) to assess the scope of work on a potential target building – specifically this candidate would opine on the cost, schedule components relating to any CAPEX upgrades to the building, preparing a rough order of magnitude (ROM) estimate for the purposes of due diligence and underwriting.
- Provide cost effective design/technical and value engineering solutions to improve the underwriting / business returns
- Work with the DCM team to help establish the project scope, schedule and budgets
- Assist the DCM team in reviewing contractor change orders for accuracy, appropriateness and value (from a cost and schedule perspective)
- Create and maintain estimating and cost history database (including unit / labor rates), benchmark pricing information, analyzing quantities and scope items
- Leads the review of construction documents to ensure a smooth transition between the respective design and construction teams
- Provide support and strategy during trade / general contractor procurement, while also participating in trade / general contractor interviews and the bid leveling process
- Preparation of conceptual estimates / ROM’s for different design options / site plans from unit rates including MEP, civil in both CSI / trade format as well as elemental formats
- Ability to prepare estimates in both CSI/Trade format as well as Elemental (for benchmarking purposes)
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating change orders
- Substantial knowledge of industrial construction projects (repositioning and ground-up) with emphasis around the key components of these projects i.e. site plan, seismic, sprinklers, roofing, MEP, civil, sustainability, ADA, loading docks, office build outs etc.)
- Ability to perform detailed estimates in all stages of design, with the ability to provide relatively accurate allowances for items not fully detailed. Most estimates will be between Conceptual to Design Development, not Construction Documents
- An in‐depth knowledge of different construction processes and cost drivers (i.e. Title 24, Building Code)
- Ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and coordinate with other team members and business units
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and communicate effectively to develop, comprehend, and complete legal, financial, construction-related, and human resources documents and to communicate with the DCM team and other business units
- Experience with Budget & Milestone/Schedule Development, Management and Tracking
- Ability to utilize current industry technology such as Microsoft office, on-screen takeoff, bluebeam, Yardi or other estimating software programs
- Reading and interpreting documents, contractor / vendor solicitation (RFP’s, RFQ’s)
- Ability to Read & Understand Construction Drawings & Specification
- Undergraduate Degree in related subject (Construction Management / Engineering / Architecture)
- Proven track record of working as a Senior Estimator / Pre-construction expert in Southern California
- Experience as a lead estimator for at least 5 years
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience in a private sector estimating role
- Currently residing in southern California
- Less than 10% travel is anticipated – travel will be to project sites throughout southern California
Rexford Industrial’s reward plan includes; highly competitive base salaries, bonus eligibility and long- term incentives for many positions, comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 401k with match, vacation, additional PTO and paid holidays, as well as regular company events, food, snacks, coffee, ping pong table, massage chairs,
Rexford is an equal opportunity employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We celebrate diversity and are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees.