Senior Sustainability Manager
SENIOR SUSTAINABLITY MANAGER
Rexford Industrial Realty, Inc. (NYSE: REXR) is a leading, publicly traded industrial real estate investment and management company, operating over 32 million square feet of industrial properties throughout Southern California. Never has the mission and vision of Rexford Industrial been more exciting. Strategically located in Southern California, the largest industrial market in the U.S., our strategy targets investment in well-located, infill industrial buildings with value-add opportunities to renovate and enhance functionality and efficiency.
Best-in-class environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) impacts are integral to our business. Our mission is to reinvent the business of industrial real estate by optimizing positive impacts for the environment and our communities, tenants, employees, and shareholders.
Our interconnected strategic priorities integrate ESG factors into every decision we make:
- Value-add property repositioning, recycling and renovation - Our property-level work and recycling of industrial buildings drive dramatic environmental, social and community benefits, in part driven by the substantial reductions in carbon footprint achieved through our value-creation strategies.
- Community Welfare - Rexford's differentiated business model breathes new life into infill communities - further amplified by our proactive tenant and community engagement.
- Culture of respect and Excellence – the Rexford way is built upon mutual-respect, with employees empowered to learn, collaborate, contribute, and innovate. We live by the highest ethical standards in our pursuit of excellence.
The Senior Sustainability Manager will be a key member of the Rexford Industrial ESG team, reporting to the EVP, Development & Construction. This individual will be primarily responsible for developing and leading the “E” in the ESG initiatives and ensuring that such initiatives are aligned with Rexford’s business strategies and operational objectives. The individual will collaborate heavily with senior leadership, as well as work with cross-functional teams throughout Southern California (specifically Finance, Construction, Design, Property Management, Leasing, Legal and Acquisitions).
- Lead a team of internal stakeholders and external consultants to develop and publish annual reporting including Sustainability GRI Report, GRESB, and SASB disclosure, and assist in developing ESG contents in the company’s core public documents including the Annual Report, 10-K and Proxy, all specifically related to environmental and sustainability reporting and content.
- Develop processes to monitor, track ongoing progress against the company’s overall ESG goals related to environmental and sustainability
- Build thoughtful reporting and presentations which demonstrate results and earn executive buy-in and alignment around near and long-term projects and initiatives.
- Provide leadership for REXR ESG committee around environmental and sustainability initiatives
- Provide periodic ESG updates to C-suite and Board
- Develop and lead the “E” in our ESG initiatives including program governance, carbon reduction, and annual reporting and disclosure
- Leverage strong communication skills, technical and leadership expertise elevating the focus on Sustainability programs and planning integration across the company
- Drive ongoing improvement in ESG disclosures, rankings and ratings, and response of ESG inquiries.
- Support employee engagement efforts related to ESG with regular communication via all-hands, town halls and educational sessions for new and existing employees. Create interactive engagement opportunities on ESG for employees.
- Collaborate with leadership around our Social and Governance impacts which are led by HR and legal respectively
- Engage with external stakeholder groups, representing Rexford’s ESG program in public forums and industry events
- Research & Knowledge
- Be the sustainability, energy and environmental champion for Rexford driving efforts in carbon neutrality, zero net energy, LEED, water management, solar, battery storage etc.
- Research new technologies and collaborate with asset management teams to drive tangible improvements in the operating portfolio. This should include applying lifecycle costing and assessment techniques to material/equipment and design decisions; understanding total cost of ownership from Rexford and tenants’ perspectives and generally integrating sustainability considerations into property & tenant improvement programs (e.g. improved metering, lighting or irrigation specifications & procurement procedures).
- Monitor relevant changes to ESG laws
- Stay on top on updates to reporting frameworks (the alphabet soup)
- Understand ESG trends affecting REIT industry
- Assist HR in implementing ESG related training modules
- Lead sustainability investment and ancillary revenue programs in the operating portfolio, especially as it relates to vehicle electrification and distributed energy technologies (e.g. solar, battery storage, electric vehicle charging as a service, compliance as a service). This should include defining investment/business thesis & proforma economics, diligence of risks & mitigation strategies, leading presentations to investment committee for budget allocation, negotiating with vendors and customers for implementation, and owning program management in close collaboration with local field teams and customers.
- Define strategies & process improvements to reduce utility expenses, improve recoveries and lessen impacts from energy, water, waste & GHGs. This should include optimizing utility tariff selections; monitoring accounting & recovery improvements; preventative and corrective maintenance coordination through proactive monitoring of usage trends, etc.
- Collaborate with key business functions to obtain data and achieve agreed metrics across ESG measures, ensure operational ESG initiatives are executed in-line with the company’s goals.
- Implement all 2021 ESG report sustainability commitments
- Assist PM (Property Management) team in all benchmarking requirements and manage relevant data
- Create and implement standards, policy, best practices, and SOPs.
- Study and institute applicable carbon neutrality program
- At least 7-10 years of related working experience in a real estate organization (preferably an Industrial REIT) with minimum 5-7 years in ESG/Sustainability in a business setting
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Working knowledge of global/industry ESG trends and their application in industrial real estate
- Experience in analyzing building utility data, spotting trends, and making suggestions for energy efficiency projects
- Experience with the following- GRI, CDP, TCFD, SASB, ENERGY STAR, GRESB, LEED
- Demonstrated examples in establishing or monitoring UNSDG’s and TCFD commitments
- Broad knowledge of ESG in a business context including ESG reporting, life cycle assessment, Science Based Targets, sustainable building, and sustainable financing
- Advanced verbal and written communications skills as well as the ability to educate, persuade and inspire people into action
- Strong project management and cross-functional team management skills, process focused and keen ability to manage through influence
- Be able to prioritize, multitask and deliver high-quality work in tight timeframes
- Ability to work independently with ambiguity to drive solutions. High level of attention to detail and ability to think strategically and innovatively