Vice President, Legal
We are currently seeking a Vice President, Legal, reporting to the General Counsel located at our Brentwood Headquarters. In this role, your primary focus will be the legal component of logistics and industrial real estate acquisitions and dispositions, including negotiations, review and drafting of legal documents and management of Rexford’s outside counsel. Rexford is one of the most acquisitive real estate companies in Southern California, with over $600 million in acquisitions year-to-date, almost $500 million in 2018, and over $660 million in 2017. The Vice President, Legal, plays an integral role in these transactions that are key to Rexford’s continued growth.
This position will manage legal aspects of transactions, identify and evaluate issues, advise on, and formulate legal strategies to achieve Company objectives. Experience drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements and handling closings is essential. You will be responsible for managing outside counsel and advising senior executives on legal issues.
- Management of outside legal counsel handling real estate acquisitions and dispositions in a high volume, time sensitive environment.
- Advise business partners and outside counsel on acceptable negotiated deal terms and risk tolerances.
- Legal support drafting and negotiating letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements for real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
- Evaluate environmental assessments and risks and collaborate with environmental counsel and insurance underwriters.
- Draft and negotiate lease transaction and related documents.
- Provide guidance to leasing team on lease negotiations
- Draft and negotiate leasing and property operation documents and construction contracts, such as letters of intent, leases, consents to assignments and subleases, access and license agreements, collateral lien waiver and lender access agreements, service agreements, billboard leases, satellite and telecom agreements, subordination agreements, track use agreements, commission and listing agreements, brokerage license agreements, solar lease agreements, and mineral rights agreements.
- Advise on complex legal matters, analyze legal (and business, where applicable) issues, negotiate legal and commercial issues and solve intricate problems using sound legal judgment and expertise, with minimal supervision.
- Deal with daily general corporate matters.
- Assist with compliance monitoring.
- Lease related due diligence for acquisitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school, member of the California Bar or registered in house counsel and a minimum of Seven (7) years of extensive real estate focus similar in scope to the described responsibilities.
- Must be a solutions oriented and creative attorney who knows how to get challenging acquisition deals across the finish line in a seller friendly market with motivated and eager clients.
- Must have commercial experience, industrial would be preferred.
- Able to handle large volume of transactions and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a commitment to professionalism, integrity and collegiality, and the ability to work on a wide range of legal matters.
- Public company experience (SEC filings such as Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and Proxy) is not required by would be a plus.
- Must be an independent, self-directed, organized and diligent worker, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work under tight deadlines, handle multiple, detailed tasks simultaneously and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must be able to anticipate problems and issues and exercise independent judgment while knowing when and to whom to escalate issues.
Rexford Industrial’s reward plan includes; highly competitive base salaries, bonus eligibility and long- term incentives for many positions, comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 401k with match, vacation, additional PTO and paid holidays, as well as regular company events, food, snacks, coffee, ping pong table, massage chairs, TVs and beautiful offices with 360 degree views of the ocean, mountains and city.